First TF-100 Test Results! Questions/advice...

capricatunes

Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2020
Minneapolis
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I just got my test kit and did the full battery (I think). Results:

FC: 1.5
CC: .5
TA: 150
Ph: 8
CH: 1
CYA: 40

Pool: ~30k gallons, vinyl.

I used pool math to calculate bleach addition, and addition of low n slo I still had. I have read the ABC’s of Pool Chemistry and most of the articles in the 101 area / getting started.

Questions:

1) The first time I did my CYA test, I noticed that I added a bit too much solution to top off the bottle. Probably 2 cm? When I ran the test, my result was 20. So, I did the test again being sure to get the levels of liquid as close as I could, and the result was 40. Does that difference sound right? Should I test again tomorrow? How critical is the exact liquid amount for this test? The disparity between those two tests concerned me (largely out of ignorance) so I’m asking to ensure I’m not doing something wrong here.

2) I still don’t quite understand CC. Is the fact that it is .5 a problem? I added 128oz of 12.5% bleach (sodium hypochlorite), which is what pool math told me to do. But, I just wanted to make sure that I don’t need to do anything else.

Thank you!

Well done so far! (Can you add your pool and equipment details to your signature? Thanks!)
1) I know that the CYA reagent and pool water sample should be equal, not sure how much it actually effects the results... It's a reflectivity test, so the LIGHTING conditions should have more effect on the result.

2) .5 is acceptable, unless it shows up on every test. Then a SLAM would be considered.

Reactions: capricatunes
Also, with a PH of 8, you will need to get some muriatic acid and bring that down, keeping it around 7.4/or so (not lower with vinyl)
Thanks. I had some low n slo, and added that to target 7.4-7.6 using pool math calculator.

My Ph *does* seem to creep up, and the TA seems high. So, I may need to lower the TA...? I posted another thread about that awhile ago (wasn’t sure what TA was all about). As I now understand it, you should only lower TA if Ph regularly increases. Ph does seem to climb on me...but, maybe that’s normal?

Reactions: splashpad
Thanks. I had some low n slo, and added that to target 7.4-7.6 using pool math calculator.

My Ph *does* seem to creep up, and the TA seems high. So, I may need to lower the TA...? I posted another thread about that awhile ago (wasn’t sure what TA was all about). As I now understand it, you should only lower TA if Ph regularly increases. Ph does seem to climb on me...but, maybe that’s normal?
It is normal for it to "drift" up with activity in the pool. The problem is when it swings high & low quickly

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.