First TF-100 Test _ Need Advice Please

Nov 1, 2015
Katy, TX
So having done a lot of reading around the subject I ordered the TF-100 test kit and completed my first tests this morning.

Results are:
pH 8.2 (I know this is high - what do I add to lower it?)
FC 2ppm
CC 0.5ppm
TC 2.5ppm
CH 175ppm
TA 330ppm
CYA 30ppm

It seems that the CYA and FC combination is acceptable from looking at the CYA - FC chart, although I should be targeting slightly higher. I have a Pentair Rainbow 320 chlorinator that was set at 3. Increased that to 4 today to try and up the FC a bit.

I think CH is OK?

Main concern is the high TA and high pH - recommendations on what I need to do to rectify that.

Pool is inground plaster pool and was completed approximately 4 weeks ago. 19000 gallons with raised spa with spill way.

I had the water tested at SunTex pools two weeks ago. Results from that test were:
pH >8.6
FC 0.1ppm
CC 1.1ppm
TC 1.2ppm
CH 129ppm
TA 204ppm
CYA 9ppm

On their recommendation I added 1 gallon acid and 60lbs of Proteam Supreme Plus (in 3 equal doses, each a day apart). They did comment that the FC was low but recommended not shocking a new plaster pool (?)

Recommendations on what I now need to do would be much appreciated

Thanks
Dave

pH 8.2 (I know this is high - what do I add to lower it?)
CH 175ppm
TA 330ppm

Hi Dave

First of all, welcome to TFP!

I'm up in The Woodlands and I just filled my pool. PB hasn't even turned on the pumps yet. Tested my fill water and got pH >= 8.2 and TA also 330 (something in the Houston area water?). Oddly enough, my CH was only about 75. Just wanted to let you know you're not alone. Good luck.

New plaster requires proper startup procedures or the plaster can be permanently damaged. You're at risk for scaling with your numbers. The builder should give detailed instructions. Also, the plaster mix manufacturer should have a detailed startup procedure. Make sure that you register the warranty with them. What plaster mix did you get? What instructions were you given?

New plaster requires proper startup procedures or the plaster can be permanently damaged. You're at risk for scaling with your numbers. The builder should give detailed instructions. Also, the plaster mix manufacturer should have a detailed startup procedure. Make sure that you register the warranty with them. What plaster mix did you get? What instructions were you given?

Well interestingly I didn't get any instructions from the builder. I have a pebbletec finish and have registered the warranty. TexSun pools are contracted by my builder to do the startup and the 'pool school' - pool school was pretty rudimentary and I pretty much could have figured out everything he told me myself. As far as chemicals go, the guy just told me to take water sample to the store and have it tested and they will tell me what to do - I was not very impressed with the guy in the store when I did this so thought I would go the DIY route.

Looks like I need to go to my builder and see what he says and possibly check with PebbleTec re startup procedures etc

Thanks for the help
Dave

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.