Ashland Ma
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
Just completed my first test with my new kit. I have had a yo yo of results with pool store tests and have also had serious issues with copper in my water and staining. I think the copper may be coming from my heat pump but can’t be sure. I have had temporary success with AA treatment but water turns cloudy after sequestering agent is added. Trying to determine how much and how often I need to add sequesterant. I have also just received the large CUlator as an attempt get rid of the copper. I was told the only way to get rid of my problem is to bring in metal free water and drain the pool. Not an option as the copper could be coming from heat pump. Did my first test today
FC-1
CC-1.5
TC -2.5
CH- 400
TA- 200
CYA- 40
PH- 7.2

18x36 vinyl liner 23000 gallons with SWG. I have not been adding any chemicals in past few days as I was awaiting my test kit. Not sure of the steps I need to take to get in balance and try to control my stains

Thank you!!!

Only way the copper is coming from your heat pump is if you have been keeping the pH below 7 for long periods of time.

Add chlorine. Follow the FC/CYA Levels for your CYA. Your CC is high. What does the water look like?

Treat your issues separately. Balance your pool water and then work on the stains.

Your FC is too low and your CC's too high. Since your water is clear I am going to suggest that you not SLAM for now but be prepared to SLAM if your CC's don't come down.

Elevate your FC to about 8 ppm and HOLD IT THERE for about 48 hours or so. That means you probably will have to add FC twice daily at least to keep it around 8 ppm.

Then test your CC's to see if they have dropped to .5 or less. If they do, you are good to go and I would suggest a constant FC level around 4-5 ppm.

Added 2 gallons 8.25% bleach turned SWG to superchlorinate and my water has now turned greenish from clear.
FC went up to 2.5
CC at 1
more bleach?

FC is at 1 this morning and
CC is at .5

Should I add metal sequestering now? I was sold Iron Out Formula II by Omega pool & spa chemicals and I still have a quart or should I add more chlorine?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Very disappointing that you paid for water with iron in it.

That said, you must keep your chlorine up around 3-5 ppm. add it now.

That greenish cast you are getting is the chlorine oxidizing the iron and making it visible. Keep you pH down in the lower 7's......that'll help some.

Go ahead and use the sequestrant (iron out) but use it at the proper dosage on the bottle or it will not be effective and remember it will not get rid of the iron but only keep it in solution so you don't see it.

Have you city water tested for iron as well. If it has none (and it shouldn't), perhaps you can replace some of your trucked in water with iron-free city water.

Curious why you got trucked water in your initial fill?

It’s actually copper that I have in the water, not quite sure where it’s coming from. We had to truck water in when we installed the pool due to a water ban. No issues for the first few years, but have had copper and trace amounts of iron for the past few. Been on a bit of a roller coaster. The green color happened so quickly this time after adding bleach. Assume it was the bleach reacting and oxidizing the copper. Have had success with AA treatments but need to find the balance of sequester agent on a regular basis for stains and water to not turn green. Made the mistake of adding a copper based algaecide a few weeks ago which had turned me off pool stores all together! My new test kit is great, just anxious to find our new normal with copper! Was thinking of adding some polyquat 60, iron out II, AA and adding the CUlator to the pump basket. Wondering if that’s a good plan? The AA needs low FC which I have now. Think there was some residual algae left from my last AA treatment as I have had a lot of sandy looking debris on the floor after the cloudiness cleared up.
Test results last night:
FC 2.5
CC 1
PH 7.2
TA 230
CYA 30

Tested this morning
FC 1
CC .5

THANK YOU for helping me!!!!

Assume it was the bleach reacting and oxidizing the copper.
Almost surely, it is the bleach acting with iron.....not copper.

Copper stains don't discolor pool water. They stick on pool surfaces as black or turqoise stains.

You are tossing a lot of stuff in your pool hoping for good results. TFP suggest NEVER put anything in your pool when you don't know the outcome.

As I mentioned earlier, you need chlorine in your pool before too long. The green color will fade from view in a few days as the oxidized iron is caught up in the filter. Test your city water for iron.

Got it! Add Iron Out II and more bleach. Won’t add anything else at this point and wait for the green to clear. I haven’t added any town water at all, but will have it tested.
Thanks again

Been adding bleach over the past couple of days. 4 gallons 6% on my 5th gallon of 8.25%. FC has been fluctuating between 2.5 and 10. Last night added 1 gallon bleach and my FC was 10.5. This morning it was 5. Did a full test and here is what I had
FC 5
CC 1
CH 375
TA 210
PH 7.2

Brushed and vacuumed- pool is clear, just green. Metal staining has turned darker or appears darker through the green. I’m getting impatient and not sure if I should be doing something differently or should add anything else. Added 1 qt iron out II in Saturday and it seemed to help clear up some green.

Thanks!

Attachments

• FCAD0A71-68E0-477A-9036-DCA5E25E5C38.jpeg
    FCAD0A71-68E0-477A-9036-DCA5E25E5C38.jpeg
    228.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 12E9591E-A55A-43C3-B2DC-870F2B8795C5.jpeg
    12E9591E-A55A-43C3-B2DC-870F2B8795C5.jpeg
    233.9 KB · Views: 8
Pool is clear and has been holding FC for the past day and 1/2 or so. Lost 4 ppm FC over night last night and lost 2ppm all day. CC staying at .5 test results are as follows:
FC =5
CC =.5
Ph=7.5
CH=350
TA= 150
CYA= 40

I really need to address the stains from the metal. Don’t have a metal test- last one from the pool store on 6/29 were
.5 copper
0 iron

I have since added 2 qt iron out II and it turned green. Green has cleared now just stained. Not sure of my next steps.

Attachments

• 7134E26E-5409-4AF5-86B6-40D0DF14F63C.jpeg
    7134E26E-5409-4AF5-86B6-40D0DF14F63C.jpeg
    271.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 2388C7CA-4317-491D-BC95-9CB3213FA67F.jpeg
    2388C7CA-4317-491D-BC95-9CB3213FA67F.jpeg
    205.5 KB · Views: 5
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.