First test results with K-2006. Now what should I do :-)

Northern cannonball

Bronze Supporter
Sep 12, 2021
Toronto, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hi folks,
I nearly stumbled down the stairs in my excitement to greet the delivery guy. My K-2006 has just arrived and I've completed my first test, which I hope I did right ;)

Here are my results:
  1. FC - 9
  2. CC - 1.8
  3. pH - 8
  4. TA -130
  5. CH - 230
  6. CYA - 52
My SWG is set to 20% output. Thoughts on my results? What should i do now?

Thanks in advance!

Your combined chlorine value indicates you need to SLAM. You should adjust your ph down first because tests are not reliable at high fc concentrations.

You should consider getting the PoolMath app so you can keep track of your efforts. You can use the old PoolMath calculator for now to help figure out dosages.

Last edited:
Reactions: KJB1
Great job getting one of the recommended test kits. I hope you received the K-2006C.

Yes, your CC is high. How does the water look? Have you been seeing green tinge on your pool walls? Definitely, get your pH down and find a source for liquid chlorin. To SLAM you don’t want to use your SWG.

Your combined chlorine value indicates you need to SLAM. You should adjust your ph down first because tests are not reliable at high fc concentrations.

You should consider getting the PoolMath app so you can keep track of your efforts. You can use the old PoolMath calculator for now to help figure out dosages.
Thanks, i'll put some of my PH down in this evening.

Great job getting one of the recommended test kits. I hope you received the K-2006C.

Yes, your CC is high. How does the water look? Have you been seeing green tinge on your pool walls? Definitely, get your pH down and find a source for liquid chlorin. To SLAM you don’t want to use your SWG.
Thanks for replying. Water looks great, nice and clear. I added 40% algecide last week as well, per pool companies recommendation, for monthly maintenance as well as stain and scale. Rookie question, why would i need to add chlorine via SLAM, if my FC is high?
Are my levels ok to go for an evening swim tonight?

btw only K-2006 was available in canada, so i'll need to stock up on reagents soon :cautious:

You’ll want to use muriatic acid to lower pH. Powdered acid, I am assuming, pH down is a powder, will add sulfates to your water which is not good for your SWG.

Check out ABC of pool water chemistry that will give a definitive idea of what you’re looking for when you manage CC.

You can always swim when you can see the bottom of the deep end and your chlorine level is at or below SLAM level.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK so i read through the slam process. Is there a magic number which can be calculated so I know how much liquid chlorine to add? I checked pool calculator and it doesn't give me such a number. Do i start with a gallon of chlorine or 2? Intervals?
Thanks so much!

Use the Pool Math calculator to estimate dosage by entering your current FC and your Target in the two columns.
Note --I use the "Old Pool Math Webpage" (link below under Quick Nav).

Use the Pool Math calculator to estimate dosage by entering your current FC and your Target in the two columns.
Note --I use the "Old Pool Math Webpage" (link below under Quick Nav).
Ahh ok thanks. Having CYA @ 52 and current FC is 9, in order to get to 20 ppm (as per SLAM), I need to raise it 11ppm. The calculator indicates the following using 12% liquid chlorine:

SUGGESTION:

Add 106 fl oz by volume of bleach.
106 fl oz is 3 quarts 1 cups .

DO i add it all at the same time, or ease into it?

Thanks for all of your help.

When you are all set pour it slow and steady into the return stream and leave your pump running. Test to verify FC levels after an hour.
I would recommend you run an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test tonight. It will be good practice at minimum and I would want another data point besides one high CC test.
How does the water column look, cloudy? Can you see any algae?
Also there is no 52ppm result in the CYA test as it is a log scale so round up and use 60 as your CYA.

CYA is rounded up; if you see 52, consider that 60. If you don’t, you may be slightly under SLAM and make your process longer.

MPS is a non-chlorine shock; not advisable as it screws with your testing for quite a long time. Glad you’re not using it!

Good morning, i followed the steps to perform an OCLT and performed a test with a 10ml sample instead. Also added some PH down yesterday afternoon after first results.
Results are:
  1. FC - 6.5
  2. CC - 0...? It took 10 drops to turn the water very light pink and then 1 drop to clear.
  3. pH - 7.6
  4. TA -130
  5. CH - 220
  6. CYA - 60
The SWG was set to 0% output overnight. Should I boost the output up? Not sure if i need to SLAM or not.
Thank you

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.