First Test Numbers Off The Charts

98chrysler

Jul 29, 2019
DFW Texas
Hi all. I have a friend who recently purchased a house with a pool here in north Texas. It appears to be about a 10-15k gallon pebble tec pool with a small waterfall. It looks to be running a standard single speed pump on a timer with a Pentair inline puck feeder and a Hayward DE filter. There was also a floater in the water that looks like it had two or three pucks in it at one point. I ran a water test with my Taylor k2006c kit and got some strange results.
FC - I did a 10ml test with two scoops of R-0870 powder and proceeded to add R-0871 drops. Thing is the color never changed from pink to clear. I stopped at 80 drops as the solution was becoming diluted with the 871. Is it truly possible that the FC is 40+?
CC - I didn't bother as the FC did not yield a reasonable result.
PH - Tested at 7.4, but I'm not sure I trust that as the FC was so high.
TA - The sample changed color at 110 or 11 drops of R-0009, but it changed to a brownish yellow color instead of the bright pink-red that it normally does. I believe that indicates super high chlorine levels if I remember correctly.
CH - Tested as normal 450ppm.
CYA - Mixing the 7ml water sample in the small plastic bottle with the 7ml of the R-0013 resulted in the bottle turning almost completely white. Adding to the comparator tube I couldn't see the dot at about 3/16" of water from the bottom. If I had to guess based on the scaling maybe 200 or 250ppm well off the chart.

Does this even seem legit. I did run the FC test twice both times failing to get a color change. I tested my pool about an hour later and had full color change at 17 drops, and I know my FC is a bit high as I am backing down my Stenner from its summer setting. The house was for sale for a while. Is it possible the CYA was stupid high and that is why so much chlorine was added? Or maybe my testing was wrong somehow. If not and the numbers are right, would this would be a full drain and refill scenario? It seems as though the CYA alone would require a major water change. Thoughts, comments, suggestions...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.