jenck

May 28, 2021
Southwestern Ontario
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
First time pool owner. This morning I finally get the K-2006 test kit and did the first test, here is the result:
12x32 inground, sand filter, vinyl, not very sure about the volume, one store shows 79939 liters, other shows 61203 liters, but I guess it will about 20k gal? Cannot see the bottom of deep end to tell the change of the bottom.
FC: 0.6
CC: 1.2
PH: 7.0 ( did base demand test add CR-0006 6 drop will change to colour close to 7.4)
CYA: 55ppm ( between 50-60 line should we round up to 60ppm) question for this test kit, the CYA reagent won't even last for 2 test, is that normal? I will have to find out where can I get this reagent for CYA if we need to test it often.
TA: 120 ( star to change colour at 11 drop)
CH: 130 ( start to change colour at 11 drop)

Pool open at May 25, add bunch 65% granulated chlorine, did 2 vacuum to waste, 2 filter backwash, still seems cloudy, add 10 liters of 10.3% liquid chlorine last night ( assume 40ppm CYA and want to raise to 16 ppm for FC) and run the pump all night. I think we need to continue the SLAM but
Do I need to adjust PH while do SLAM or before continue the SLAM ? I am worried about the lower ph will damage the liner and equipment.

Store result for ph was
May 29 store 1: PH 7.4 CYA 0ppm
May 31 store 2: PH 7.1 CYA 40ppm
The only thing we added other than granulated chlorine and liquid chlorine is stabilizer which store 1 suggest to add 4*900 g but I only added 3*900 g

another question, can you do SLAM with the pool solar blanket on for day time?

Thanks so much for the help.

Last edited:
Your pH will rise quickly with a TA of 120.
You bought the small K2006 kit, we recommend the K2006C. So yes, you need refills for the CYA and FAS-DPD, now.
Your CYA is 60 ppm. Round up.
SLAM level FC is 24 ppm. Start adding liquid chlorine and testing. Good luck.

Your pH will rise quickly with a TA of 120.
You bought the small K2006 kit, we recommend the K2006C. So yes, you need refills for the CYA and FAS-DPD, now.
Your CYA is 60 ppm. Round up.
SLAM level FC is 24 ppm. Start adding liquid chlorine and testing. Good luck.
thanks so much, I asked the sale person when I ordered if I need to order more reagent, he said this kit would be ok for long time, anyway will have to search for that.
Can you kindly answer my added question? thanks so much.
Do I have to do the SALM all day, is it ok only do this at night after work? don't have time to monitor the thing all day long, I saw other people do this every few hours.

Thanks

another question, can you do SLAM with the pool solar blanket on for day time?
The solar cover should be off the pool during the day so UV can get to the water surface to eliminate the CC in the water.

The SLAM will go much quicker if the pool water can be tested and LC added at least 3 - 4 times per day. Is there anyone home during the day that could at least add some LC?

The solar cover should be off the pool during the day so UV can get to the water surface to eliminate the CC in the water.

The SLAM will go much quicker if the pool water can be tested and LC added at least 3 - 4 times per day. Is there anyone home during the day that could at least add some LC?
thanks. I guess I will have to find someone to do this and get more LC, if that amount of LC is not very easy to get, is granulated chlorine still ok to use? what is the disadvantage to use granulated chlorine?
I have a big bucket of granulated chlorine but only have one 10 liters jar to get LC and the store is not very close to get the LC.

I just notice the kit has 2x22ml bottle of cya reagent, so it can last for 6 test. I also called pool supply haus, they do have cya reagent refill bottle for 500ml and 4 liters, just need to email them for special order and it did not show on the website.

If you switch to LC only you won't have to test CYA often. Granulated chlorine will raise the CYA, LC will not. And CYA burns off at such a slow rate, that it is an insignificant drop during a swimming season.

I usually test CYA once after opening, and again before closing. It never changes (with LC).

Reactions: jenck
when I do the FC test, the 2 scoop of the R-0870 usually has a few small piece there in the bottom, do I have to wait this all dissolved before add R-0871? maybe I just not patient enough? usually how long it will take for 25ml to dissolve the 2 scoops of R-0870? I am wondering if I did the FC test the wrong way.

Yesterday morning get the test: FC 0.6 CC 1.2 PH 7.0 CYA 60 TA 120 CH 130, then had to go to work and did nothing with the pool, didn't run pump or add anything.

This noon, I added 3kg 65% cal-hypo hope to raise the FC to 24 ( assume FC went below 0.5), and wait for 1 hour and tested, FC was 1ppm. Next right after I added another 1.1kg 65% cal-hypo ( suppose to raise the FC to 10ppm), I did a test FC is 0.8 ( this maybe not accurate as the water may not mixed with the new cal-hypo yet) and then wait for 10 min, test 0.4FC. Is my pool has something bad than regular debris there?

I plan to add 15 liters of 12.5% LC after sunset ( suppose to raise FC to 24ppm) and do the test again, how long should I wait after pour the LC to do the test? is that the right step to do? this feels like whatever I put down into the pool, did nothing. The FC is never higher than 1ppm.

I even thinking that 65% cal-hypo I brought is useless. The 18kg big bucket has a plastic bag inside to hold the powder, when I opened the bucket, and tried to untie the strings on it, the top part of the plastic bag went off by itself , like it was cut by a scissor right at the line where the powder touch the air. The cover seems did not seal tight either.

help please, thanks so much.

do I have to wait this all dissolved before add R-0871?
Nope, just start stirring and add/count drops.

Also, stick to a 10 ml water sample with ONE generous scoop of powder. Add drops and mix until clear then divide the answer in half. Example: 20 drops equals an FC of 10. That should save you some reagents. :)

Now you appear to be ready to start the SLAM Process. I would put the cal-hypo away for now. Stick to liquid chlorine and test as often as needed to maintain that proper SLAM FC level of 24. Once you first add the chlorine, you might have to check at 30 min, then later 60min, until eventually you'll see the FC holding. You'll see a pattern.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
thanks so much, the problem is l cannot get so many LC at once and store sell LC are more than 20 min drive away and close early. each time l need 15 liters of 12.5% LC and don't have that many containers. Don't know how many total l will need with the slam process. that's why l hope the 65% cal-hypo will help the process.

Last edited:
Reactions: Texas Splash
after managed to run back forth a few times to get enough LC, my pool is clean and FC stay around 5ppm so far for the last 3 days. l think now it's time to balance the water.

today's test is: FC 6ppm CC 0.5 or maybe less (l used 10 ml to test) PH 7.0 TA 120 CH 160 CYA l didn't test it assume the same as 3 days ago 40

my question is should l add borax to raise ph ? but that will raise TA too. or just let it sit and drift up? l didn't see the drift up pattern, store test shows 7.1 3days ago and my test for ph is 7.0 3 days ago. TA as no change.

thanks a lot.

So just to be sure we're on the same page, I thought you were going to run the SLAM Process, but I don't think you actually did that right? You are just comfortable with the water and relatively low/steady FC loss each day? If so, then I wouldn't add anything else to the water right now except chlorine each day as required to maintain the proper FC level noted on the FC/CYA Levels. You can aerate to create bubbles in the water which should help the pH rise, and with your TA of about 120 it should start to rise fairly soon as long as you aren't using tabs or pucks which are acidic and pull the pH down.

Thanks so much.
l think l am done with the slam process. the water is clear. FC is 0.5 or less than that (when l add 5 drops of r-0003 the water just turn a little bit pink. since l use 10ml one drop of r-0871 is the least l can use) the oclt is less than 1ppm (l maybe should redo this, last time l did this l flipped the tube and didn't really finish the whole process so just a guess).
l was going to ask about the aeration thing and see if that will help. maybe need to adjust the return and get more air.

another question is about the r-0870, the scoop is getting black and outside of the bottle is black and stick too, is that normal? do l need to clean the scoop? l tried but it turn to black soon again.

Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.