first slam

jodyliebing said:
I started my SLAM last night unfortunately I tested again right before and my CYA levels are 80 instead of 60. (Done it outside). SO here was my test results when I started
CYA 80
PH 7.5
TA 200
CH 300
FC 1
CC 1
Also the pool has no visible signs of algae and is clear. I added 6 gallons of 10% bleach at 6:15 tested at 7:45 and got a FC of 38 ( a bit high for shock should have been 31) and a CC of 2. This morning I tested at 5:48 am and had FC of 14 and CC of 1.Added 2 gallons of bleach have not tested yet waiting 1 hour.(just tested FC 33 CC 0.5) I fell below shock level overnight, does this mean I have to start over? Also as I stated earlier in my post I do work and it may be a problem to add or test every 2 hours. One question I have is I just want to make sure that I am not damaging my pool or equipment by adding so much bleach. I feel that I should actually go a bit above my shock level so that it doesnt fall below when Im gone. Is this not a good idea? Does it seem like I am on the right track here??? Sure would appreciate any help.

You are doing good :goodjob:

You can aim a little over the shock level, that is fine.

Sometimes working gets in the way of SLAMing a pool, but as long as you can test/add/SLAM two times a day, it will still work......only slower.

Try once in the morning before work and if you can do two test/adds in the evening especially after the sun is off the pool, even better. You will succeed.

UPDATE!
7:45pm FC-38 /CC 2
5:48 am FC-14/CC1 (added bleach
6:48 am FC 33 / CC 0.5
4:30 pm FC -16 /CC -1 was not able to test between 8 and 4 lost 17ppm..( seems like soooo much :(

6:30 pm FC 25 /cc 0.5 ( didnt get up to shock so added 1 more gallon)
8:30 pm FC 30/cc 1. (not sure why I keep getting 0.5 then 1)
6:00 am FC25/cc0.5 ( raised to 30 with 1 gallon bleach)

Thoughts pleeese!!!!!! I really want this to work. Funny, the pool is sooooo sparkly!! ( I might be getting that sparklyitis thing but not getting my hopes up too high!)

You are doing just fine :goodjob:

Don't worry, it will work. Just follow the process.

Be sure to brush the entire pool daily, including walls, floor, steps, skimmer, under ladders, everywhere.

I hesitate to suggest this since your pool is so new, but, if you have underwater lights, remove them from the niche, clean them out, and expose them to shock level. If you have fountains, or waterfalls, or other water features, they need to run during the SLAM process.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You do not need to test after each dose. If you use the pool calculator to determine the size of your dose, you know in advance what the result will be.

Test PRIOR to each dose so you can determine what your next dose should be.

yeah that makes sense!! Well I brought the shock level back up to 38 at 8 am. ( a bit high I know). So over the past 2 days I have added 14 gallons of bleach to my pool. WOW. Could someone please assure me that I am not harming my pool or liner in any way. ( I get kinda freaked out.)

Also I have a bit of a problem. Not sure I will have enough reagent (0871) to finish the slam, I have ordered some but could be a few days before it arrives. Here is my question.. Could I dilute my pool water 1 part pool water 1 part well water to do the testing and just multiply x2?? I may be way off here but thought since I have to use SOOO much with this high of levels maybe I could do it this way untill my reagent comes??

1 more question.. after the process how much FC should I expect to lose during a normal day with CYA of 80?

So over the past 2 days I have added 14 gallons of bleach to my pool. WOW. Could someone please assure me that I am not harming my pool or liner in any way.
Well, we really don't know. We have never suggested to anyone they try this before. :shock: :shock: :shock:

JUST KIDDING! Sorry, I just couldn't resist. Folks have added over 100 gallons of bleach during a SLAM. It is a consumable item. The only thing bleach leaves behind is an irrelevant amount of salt.

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My heart sank for a brief moment. :cry: Well I will never ask anthing related to THAT again Mr Duraleigh! Thank you very much. I may be a tad upset if it werent for the fact that you have helped me SOO much with my pool and its starting to get that sparklitise thingy you TFP people speak of. just for that Im going to ask ANOTHER question. Any idea how long it takes for the pool to come down from shock level after the process??

perfect!!! I am hopeful that I may be done with SLAM tonight if I pass the criteria. Having company sat I would LOVE to tell everone about TFP when they say my pool looks GREAT!!!! :party: I would also like to post pics but I am kinda bad at that??? I usually take them on my phone. Any quick way to add?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.