First SLAM - getting worried

TheAmazingSam

Jun 18, 2021
Plano, TX
On Monday I went to the pool store just to get my pH level double checked b/c I am terrible with colors. I thought it was 7.8 and their results backed that up - CYA 30, FC 1, pH 7.8, TA 80. I couldn't find muriatic acid (didn't realize I could get it in the paint department) so I added 4 cups of dry acid to a 5 gallon bucket of water and slowly dispersed that into the deep end in front of a return. An hour later I added 1.5lbs of 73% cal-hypo and didn't think about the pool for the rest of the day.
I checked my chlorine levels Tuesday around 5pm and had 0 available, pH was 7.2. Water is clear but I should have had some residual chlorine so I decide to SLAM. Go to home depot and picked up 8 gallons of 10% bleach (date marked 21 165, June 14th right?). I put in 3 gallons of the 10% bleach which should have brought my FC up to 13 to start the SLAM. I checked my levels around 9pm and again had 0 available FC, pH still looked like 7.2 to me. I added another 3 gallons of 10%. This time I checked my levels 30 minutes after adding the chlorine by diluting my water 2/3 with bottled water and chlorine levels were between 9-15 (can't be exact with the OTO test, I know). I checked again at 11:30 and back down to 1-2.
This morning FC is at 0. I added my remaining 2 gallons of 10% at 7:30am. Went back to HD and got 12 more gallons of 10% (same date code) Checked levels at 9:45 and FC is 1-2. Added another 3 gallons.

The water is clear. It's been clear. I had some precipitate yesterday, but nothing visible while brushing today. My filter pressure has been steady at around 5psi. Picture is from ~10AM.

I know I need a better test kit and I'm kicking myself for not getting it months ago, but need to wait until the next paycheck to do that. I'm starting to think my pH is below 7 b/c I found some test strips and they seem to say it's at 6.8. Even if that's off, would it affect the SLAM method?

Am I moving in the right direction?

Update at 11:30 AM - checked and chlorine was around 2-3 so I added another 3 gallons. Brushed and didn't see anything getting kicked up. Water is still clear.

IMG_5732.jpg

Last edited:
Not trying to state the obvious, but if your tests are to be believed (see below) there is something in your water eating up your chlorine.

A pH lower than 7 might be slightly corrosive, but it is actually good for chlorine efficiency. Well, efficient chlorine may consume organic stuff faster and degrade faster too, but should shorten the time needed.

SLAMming without a FAS/DPD and without accurately knowing your CYA is going to be virtually impossible. Neither test strips nor pool store tests are reliable. The OTO test is for nice to know you have chlorine, but extremely difficult to say how much you have, specially at SLAM levels.

I had no CYA in my pool. Still not sure what the previous homeowners were doing to make that possible, but it explains why I haven't been able to maintain any FC. For months now the store has given me test results of 40-50 CYA. A week ago they measured it at 30. Finally got my K2006 and the tube was completely clear. Added 4 lbs of CYA over the weekend and now the tube is cloudy, but the dot is still visible. I dropped 8 tri-chlor tabs in the floater and skimmer, so that should be enough to bring me up to the 30-40 range.

Because they want to sell everything other than what you need so why train someone to do it right... They just sell what the manager told them to sell that morning..

Please take the pucks out of the skimmer, it can ruin the skimmer, pump, and filter... The pucks make it very acidic... Just open the holes completely on the floater and when they are gone add the new ones.. :)

I like to think about it as a business model. Realistically, if you give 'free' water testing and teach what is taught here, how would you pay the overhead? They're not all bad people, it is what it is. Glad you figured it out and started learning it on your own!

Test kit arrived over the weekend and I had effectively 0 CYA in the pool. I'm not sure how that's possible since the previous homeowners left a bunch of tri-chlor tabs, and I've used a few of them, but I ran the test twice. I've since added 4lbs of dry CYA which still didn't get me up to 30+ so I'm dissolving 4lbs of tri-chlor split between my float and the skimmer.

Water is the cleanest I've seen it.

Glad your kit arrived 😊
Now you can do a proper SLAM Process

You need to test fc & add liquid chlorine multiple times a day not just once or twice. every hour spent below slam level for your cya is an hour algae gets a better foothold. Don’t forget to take pics along the way from the same spot so u can see your improvement as sometimes it can be quite gradual.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.