First *real water test

Apr 29, 2021
Thanks @Texas Splash for your advice! I bought the TFTest kit and just did my first test. Here are the results:

Chlorine - 0 (I did both the normal test in the kit, and the K-1000. The normal test never turned pink when adding powder, and the K-1000 chlorine and ph kit also showed no chlorine.)
TA - 90
CYA - 28
PH - 8.2
CH - 375

My Pool Math says to add 99oz bleach (6%), 1# 3oz stabilizer, 10oz muriatic acid.

I added 44oz bleach previously, and my chlorine pucks are set to 6 (out of 6) and the pump has been running, so I don't understand why I still can't get a chlorine reading yet. I emailed the pool company and they said it's normal for the first 2-3 weeks. Reading on here to eventually transition away from using the pucks and add liquid manually daily. Are there automatic ways of doing this? I'm at work 16hr some days so I think it's unlikely every single morning I'd go test my pool and add bleach at 3am. Wondering what some solutions people have found...

Plaster was done and pool filled on May 3. Pool startup was May 11. This latest test was performed just now, May 24.

Good job with the TF-100. Okay, so let's hope the water isn't showing signs of algae yet. You have some CYA so that's good, but you have to get that chlorine up ASAP. Use liquid chlorine each day (perhaps twice if needed) to keep the FC around 6-8 ppm. In that ballpark. If you do get algae, we can't do anything for the first 30 days of new plaster anyways, so it's best you try to keep the FC elevated a bit. I would add little muriatic acid to lower the pH to about 7.8 for now. Keep an eye on it throughout the week as the pH will tend to rise quickly as the plaster cures.

The FC and the pH are your two biggest items to be concerned about right now. I wouldn't worry about anything else for the next several days unless there is a drastic change in water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.