First Post - Pool Needs Updating

Jun 8, 2015
Beaumont
Our pool is about 18 years old and feel it's time for re-plastering and some updating.
Before I involve any salespersons, I want to learn and understand procedures and options and believe I can accomplish that with your help.

TILE:
I will be replacing the tile around the edge of the pool. I have some ideas of what I would like.

PLASTER:
I want my water color to be a light blue. From everything that I read is that the plaster color then should be a shade of white, gray, or blue.As far as all the plaster add ons such as glass beads, abalone shells and so forth, I think that it would be sufficient to just have a smooth plaster (hopefully that is a less expensive choice).

HAND RAIL:
I am looking to add a hand rail to my pool, but want it to blend in as much as possible and be as inconspicuous as possible.

LIGHTS:
Currently in my pool are 2 small halogen spa type lights. Unfortunately, when the pool was built, I guess I really didn't do my homework on the placement of the lights, the type of lights, and the number of lights to install. Now here I am 18 years later with the 2 small halogen lights in my large swimming pool.

I want Led lighting which is color changing and controlled through Wi-Fi.I am concerned that the area where the lights are housed currently is going to be too small of an area. My question would be : is it possible make that area where the lights are housed a larger area?

GENERAL QUESTIONS:
Following is what seems to be the logical steps in order to remodel and re-plaster my pool. Just trying to educate myself so I will have some confidence when the job takes place. Are these steps in a logical order?
1. Drain pool
2. Drill holes in pool to keep it from popping out of the ground. Question: does this assure me 100% that my pool will not pop out of the ground? And if so, how long can it stay without water? Also, how many holes should be drilled and where should the holes be drilled?
3. Demolition of tile and preparation of pool surfaces. Also possibly increasing the size of where the new lights will be installed.
4. Tile installed
5. Lights installed
6. New plaster applied. What is the proper time to wait before filling the pool with water?
7. Fill pool with water, make necessary chemical applications.

Again, I welcome all your input! Probably goes without saying, but I am a newbie here!

Thanks

20170624_164404.jpg

20170624_164518.jpg

20170624_163241.jpg Halogen light (there are 2 of these)

20170624_163344.jpg Tile missing in several areas

20170624_163542.jpg Plaster worn off

20170624_163517.jpg Plaster worn off in several places

Welcome to TFP Susie!! :wave:

The sky is the limit, but yes. If you want light blue water, stick with a lighter finish, no matter the color. Consider Quartz as an upgrade. Done well, it's better than plain colored plaster and will last longer. Its really smooth too if that concerns you. Others will weigh in, as we love a good remodel!! Also, I am going to move your post to the Under Construction forum where it will get lots of views and input from different members.

Are you hiring individual contractors for each phase or hiring a company to do it all? You can search for members on here that are in your area and have done new builds or remodels and message them for referrals on who they used.

I'm certainly no expert, but I'll try to help you out some.
I'm currently in the middle of a remodel of an 17yr old pool- if you're interested, here's my thread Pool Renovation in Henderson NV
I'm going with a colored quartz plaster, it's a step up from basic plaster, but it's smooth, so if you don't like the pebble finishes, that is a good option. Cost wise it's only a little more than plaster and cheaper than pebble. We are not adding anything to the finish, that depends on the look you want. I wanted my water to be a deeper blue than my white plaster finish, so we are going with Barbados Blue Quartzscapes. You can look around online and on here for how plaster color affects water color.

I don't know about drilling holes in a pool, from my understanding that is a concern in places with a high water table, I live in the desert, so the ground is bone dry here, so no concern about pools popping. I'd think you can ask pool builders in your area if that is a concern and how to deal with it.

Since you are going to be redoing the plaster, it can sit empty for as long as needed, the issue with pools sitting empty is the plaster will get damaged when it dries out.

I can't help with the lighting issues, we have 1 light and are just going to swap it out with a new one of the same size.

You'd want to fill after plaster right away after the final prep is done for whatever material you choose. Your plaster contractor would advise on the proper startup for whatever material you choose and that protects your warranty, there is a guide here for it that you can review to understand what to expect. Pool School - Start-up New Plaster

You can browse here for tiles and finishes to start gathering ideas- National Pool Tile Group | and of course look through the Under Construction threads for ideas.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.