First post: Just finished Ascorbic Acid wash (didn't work) and new to chemical testing

I'm not gonna lie, I'm getting frustrated and feeling like I'm just throwing money away. Failed the overnight test again this morning. I grabbed the water in a bottle at about 6:30am but didn't test it until about 10:15am. It was inside with the cap on in a dark cooled room. FC went from 23 at 11pm to 20.5 at 630am. I've been adding the LC like crazy checking the levels multiple times a day and cleaned the filters a few times. Today is day 5 and my wallet is hurting. I've done 36 gallons so far 😔. It's frustrating to see other people add a $5 bag of stuff and clear it up and move on. Obviously I don't want the algae to come back and for it to actually be dead but I'm at over $300 in chemicals to be right where I was prior to starting this.

You are doing the right thing. Stick with it. Those who add a $5 bag o stuff and move on will likely be back in the same boat.

Where you getting your LC. I go to pinch a penny. It’s like $11 for 2.5 gallons of 12.5% (you have to pay a few bucks for each of the containers the first time you buy it.) They are the gold containers on the left.

E75E4F72-483C-4B94-B848-A598FFBB70EC.jpeg

You are doing the right thing. Stick with it. Those who add a $5 bag o stuff and move on will likely be back in the same boat.

Where you getting your LC. I go to pinch a penny. It’s like $11 for 2.5 gallons of 12.5% (you have to pay a few bucks for each of the containers the first time you buy it.) They are the gold containers on the left.

View attachment 437509
Hey, I also use pinch a penny. It's only 10.5% on the label at the Sugar Land location but yes, the same price for the gold containers. I wonder why yours is better when you're right down the street. My money factor also included the ascorbic acid and sequa-sol and whatever else I've bought 😕. Hopefully I pass tonight...

I wasn't able to add LC after 4pm yesterday but I checked the water when I got home and my FC was at 17.5. Grabbed another sample around 6am and I'm at 14.5.

How long do I do this until it's not working? I would suspect my pH is slightly elevated at this point as well from the spa spillover and stuff. I know won't get an accurate ph reading but should I drop a gallon of acid and keep going with the LC. Ignore the acid and keep going, or ignore it all and call it a day and live with what I got?

Also I'll be out of town for a week next week, what do I do then? Go back to dropping in the 7 tablets like before for when I'm gone?

Hey, I also use pinch a penny. It's only 10.5% on the label at the Sugar Land location but yes, the same price for the gold containers. I wonder why yours is better when you're right down the street. My money factor also included the ascorbic acid and sequa-sol and whatever else I've bought 😕. Hopefully I pass tonight...
To be honest, I never looked on the container before. I looked last night and indeed it says 10.5%. I recall that when I first went there, I called before I went and he told me that they get 12.5% liquid chlorine, but they indicate 10.5% on the label because that is what they’re able to guarantee. For what it’s worth, I have always used 12.5% in my Pool Math calculations and it has always been pretty darn close. Perhaps the strength is actually lower and I just so happen to have my pool volume incorrect by the amount that would make the 12.5% appear to be correct :) but I will say that all of my pH and other things seem to match up well with the pool volume that I have input into Pool Math. I guess what I’m trying to say is, the dude told me it comes in at 12.5% and seems that’s what I’m getting. :)
I wasn't able to add LC after 4pm yesterday but I checked the water when I got home and my FC was at 17.5. Grabbed another sample around 6am and I'm at 14.5.

How long do I do this until it's not working? I would suspect my pH is slightly elevated at this point as well from the spa spillover and stuff. I know won't get an accurate ph reading but should I drop a gallon of acid and keep going with the LC. Ignore the acid and keep going, or ignore it all and call it a day and live with what I got?

Also I'll be out of town for a week next week, what do I do then? Go back to dropping in the 7 tablets like before for when I'm gone?
I will let others more experience comment on the pH question. When you go out of town, I see you two options. Hopefully by the time you leave you will have everything sorted out and will know your daily FC loss. If this is the case, determine if you will be able to bring your pool up to slam level the moment before you leave and then based on your daily loss rate if you will still be at or above minimum on your return. If this works, then that is one option.

Alternatively, find a neighbor or friend to dump chlorine in daily for you.

Alternatively, if option one almost works but leaves you below minimum upon your return, then you can still bring it up to slam level right before you leave and then whatever day you start approaching minimum your friend or neighbor can then begin dumping chlorine. This option saves your neighbor a few days of dumping chlorine.

Alternatively, bring it up to slam level and toss in several pucks in a floater and hope for the best. I would think if you were gone for seven days, then worst case scenario would be the onset of algae when you return. To some extent that’s no big deal because you know exactly what to do. However, slamming isn’t exactly super fun, as you know :)

I’m in Katy, otherwise I would be happy to be your chlorine dumper. When we go out of town, we have our Pet Sitter dump chlorine daily. I have a bunch of empty 1 gallon bottles that I pre-measure the doses into. All she has to do is dump the contents of one bottle each evening.

Maybe give a shout out on the board to fellow Sugarlanders….

Reactions: HFD_Chase
Ideally yes. That's why the additional run time to let it mix thoroughly. So unless you plan on staying up for another hour or so it may not be in the cards. Totally your call though. If you decide to just confirm the FC now and leave it, I'd understand. You've been at this for a while.
Hey, I just wanted to see if you had any thoughts on my status as well.

Also I realized I should have been testing my water from the middle of the pool. I've been grabbing from my deep end which is also where the LC gets poured in so I'm sure my numbers have been off due to it being more concentrated in that area until fully dispersed.

I attached a pic with the blue arrows being my returns. The purple numbers are spots I'm thinking I should grab test water from. If I do the spot where it slopes to the deep end, there's a return on both sides. Should I do just on the other side of the return labeled #1? I've been grabbing from #3. Oops

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220719-135805_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220719-135805_Gallery.jpg
    454.6 KB · Views: 3
If your pump has been on for at least 30 minutes, it shouldn't make a huge difference where you grab your water sample from. However I recommend you get it from the same place each time. I grab my test sample near the deep end just about the same time each evening for consistency.

Hey, I just wanted to see if you had any thoughts on my status as well.

Also I realized I should have been testing my water from the middle of the pool. I've been grabbing from my deep end which is also where the LC gets poured in so I'm sure my numbers have been off due to it being more concentrated in that area until fully dispersed.

I attached a pic with the blue arrows being my returns. The purple numbers are spots I'm thinking I should grab test water from. If I do the spot where it slopes to the deep end, there's a return on both sides. Should I do just on the other side of the return labeled #1? I've been grabbing from #3. Oops
One thing to note is that if you were spiking it above SLAM level early on, that doesn’t help anything and just wastes chlorine. Have you removed the lights and scrubbed the doors in the skimmers?

One thing to note is that if you were spiking it above SLAM level early on, that doesn’t help anything and just wastes chlorine. Have you removed the lights and scrubbed the doors in the skimmers?
I've just kept it at SLAM level and not use more than I have to cuz I'm sick of going back and forth to the store 😂. No I haven't removed the lights or done the skimmer doors. I guess that's a thought though. Last I checked today my FC was down to 13.5 so I didn't add anymore and will let it get below 10 to check my ph before going back up again. I'm at 41 gallons of 10.5% so far during this process...

I've just kept it at SLAM level and not use more than I have to cuz I'm sick of going back and forth to the store 😂. No I haven't removed the lights or done the skimmer doors. I guess that's a thought though. Last I checked today my FC was down to 13.5 so I didn't add anymore and will let it get below 10 to check my ph before going back up again. I'm at 41 gallons of 10.5% so far during this process...
You have a bigger pool than most. Have you considered higher % chlorinating liquid? Brushing and cleaning out the light niche is part of the SLAM process. Something is eating your chlorine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okay so I got in the pool today and took out the lights and scrubbed behind them and went in there w/ a small toothbrush-like brush and hit every green spot I could find. The regular brush doesn't get them apparently. It was slightly green spots in the porous rough parts of the plaster so I got as much of it as I could find.

This morning I added 1 gallon of MA and then 2 quarts and 2 cups again later of more MA to get my PH down. My free chlorine was 9 and my PH I'm guessing was around 8.5 according to the color. I have not added chlorine since yesterday morning.

I just checked my levels again and they're as follows:
FC: 7
pH: 7.6 (still after more than 1.5 gallons)
TA: 120
CYA: 55

Why is my TA so high now? It was 80 before I started this. I'm assuming my next step is to add more acid to try and get my pH/TA down before going back up on my chlorine levels. I just shut down my spa from spilling over to keep the ph from rising up more while I'm trying to slam by cracking the drain open on it.

Last edited:
Okay so I got in the pool today and took out the lights and scrubbed behind them and went in there w/ a small toothbrush-like brush and hit every green spot I could find. The regular brush doesn't get them apparently. It was slightly green spots in the porous rough parts of the plaster so I got as much of it as I could find.

This morning I added 1 gallon of MA and then 2 quarts and 2 cups again later of more MA to get my PH down. My free chlorine was 9 and my PH I'm guessing was around 8.5.

I just checked my levels again and there as follows:
FC: 7
pH: 7.6 (still after more than 1.5 gallons)
TA: 120
CYA: 55

Why is my TA so high now? It was 80 before I started this. I'm assuming my next step is to add more acid to try and get my pH/TA down before going back up on my chlorine levels.
You added a bunch of baking soda a week ago. The addition may have still been ramping up? No need to wait on the pH to have the chlorine back in check. Dose the acid and wait 30 minutes and get the chlorine up.

Reactions: HFD_Chase
You added a bunch of baking soda a week ago. The addition may have still been ramping up? No need to wait on the pH to have the chlorine back in check. Dose the acid and wait 30 minutes and get the chlorine up.
Done. I added the acid last night and then the 5 gallons to get my FC back up to shock level. I was still at SLAM level this morning but I didn't bother checking it after adding the chlorine last night. I'll do the OCLT tonight. Hopefully scrubbing more from inside the pool and another filter cleaning helped yesterday. I appreciate everyone's help and assurance. It's all new to me as all I've ever known is throw chlorine tabs in and acid sometimes which obviously wasn't helping me. I didn't understand CYA or anything.

Reactions: Katygreys
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.