First pool Tampa area - Plumbing question

No one else will ever notice it.
How's the overall pool looking? Are you seeing that TFP sparkle yet? Would love to see some more pictures!
There's been quite a few things that I've said, "no one else will notice." haha. No TFP sparkle yet b/c I'm not in charge of the pool. :) It's still green looking. Start up guy put some sequestrant, MA, calcium chloride and CYA in yesterday. I can't figure out why he put CYA if I don't have chlorine yet but I'm still learning the chemicals so maybe that makes sense?

Pics from today. 1 of 3 water features installed. View attachment 380505
View attachment 380504

Conversation about the pic below:
Me: Um, that doesn't look like an autofill.
Startup guy: You're supposed to have autofill?
Me (in my head): OMFG, does no one read paperwork?! Why? WHY?! Gah!!! Make it stop!!
Me (out loud): Yes.
View attachment 380506
This looks really good! Cant wait to see the bowls. I love the look of that - but with kids on the way I just wanted to minimize things I know will become hazards haha so we went with the basic raised back wall sheer descent.

My only surprise with the pool so far is how much we enjoy the sunshelf - love that you have so much space there. I wouldn't have been upset if we had made it a few feet bigger - it's great for a couple of chairs and a couple of kids, but when we put 4 chairs on it - the space is pretty tight. Not a big deal in the end, but love yours!

I was also told Auto Fill was standard for a pool of my budget and would be included - both in person and on the phone... but when they didn't install it, I couldn't find it in my contract or any emails so I didn't get it. I thought I was so thorough but I missed confirming that in the papers.

However, in my opinion, that's not the right way to do the overflow. Dirt, bugs, and debris will fall in those holes. That cap shouldn't be glued so just pull it off, and then I got this to go over it:

However, I found out that I can also just use that pipe to install my own autofill for like $150 because I already ran my water main right next to this pipe when I redid my irrigation and added a bunch of hose bibs - so that's what I'm doing next:

If you don't have a water main accessible, there's no place for the water to come from - that should have been planned before the build because now they'll have to attach it to your water main or irrigation line (pre zone valves) and trench all the way to your overflow pipe.

Last... to answer your question: Literally no one except the person who wrote it has EVER read your paperwork lol it's terrible

My pb forgot our autofill too! As we were nearing final equipment install etc, we were standing by edge of pool and I asked where is the autofill...the slightly overworked guy said, ah, not in contract. I was not holding the contract in my hand, so just stared at the water...later, i read thru contract and it was there. He later gave me a credit and said we always out the autofill in, not sure what happened. I know that all of these pool builders are under unbelievable stress to get these projects done. Mine still not 100% done yet...

The autofill is on my paperwork so I know I'm not crazy (at least not for this). I can kinda understand them ordering the wrong bowls (which they haven't admitted to) b/c those were technically a "change order" but everything else lately was the original contract...the IC60, the intellicenter, autofill, and on and on. They would be so much more efficient if they would take 2 seconds to look at the contract instead of just doing "what most people get."

My pb forgot our autofill too! As we were nearing final equipment install etc, we were standing by edge of pool and I asked where is the autofill...the slightly overworked guy said, ah, not in contract. I was not holding the contract in my hand, so just stared at the water...later, i read thru contract and it was there. He later gave me a credit and said we always out the autofill in, not sure what happened. I know that all of these pool builders are under unbelievable stress to get these projects done. Mine still not 100% done yet...
That's the other thing...other than the bowls that I keep asking them about, I must have asked about the autofill like 5 times..."ok, does the autofill go in now?" "How about now?" Because I *knew* they were going to forget it. They just kept telling me later...well apparently it is now "later" and they still did it wrong. 🤦‍♀️

No one else will ever notice it.
How's the overall pool looking? Are you seeing that TFP sparkle yet? Would love to see some more pictures!
You are right, no one will notice. But PB that pay attention to those little details are probably hopefully invested in doing the best job all around. They are the ones making sure the tile is straight, the corners of tile set correctly, the connections done, things are level etc. They want the whole to be the sum of the parts. Yes, little things get missed, it's a big hole in the ground, but when you are paying attention you catch most of them. A happy customer is advertising you can't buy. A mad, upset, dealing with a mess, is advertising you cannot pay to go away.

That's the other thing...other than the bowls that I keep asking them about, I must have asked about the autofill like 5 times..."ok, does the autofill go in now?" "How about now?" Because I *knew* they were going to forget it. They just kept telling me later...well apparently it is now "later" and they still did it wrong. 🤦‍♀️
I think there is an invisible clause in all contracts that reads, The Homeowner is really the builder. Thanks goodness TFP members are here to hold our hands, if we didn't have this support who knows what would be in our backyards. By the way, the design of your pool is lovely, I really like the inset tanning ledge with steps, leaving a clear swim lane. Nicely thought out.

I think there is an invisible clause in all contracts that reads, The Homeowner is really the builder. Thanks goodness TFP members are here to hold our hands, if we didn't have this support who knows what would be in our backyards. By the way, the design of your pool is lovely, I really like the inset tanning ledge with steps, leaving a clear swim lane. Nicely thought out.
Thanks...Yes I've been saying to people that I feel like I have all this wasted knowledge on how to build a pool now. But I hope to never have to build a pool again! One of my coworkers says that when she builds a pool, she's hiring me as a consultant, lol. For sure, I am very glad I found this site early in my search! Since I had a narrow area to work with, I figured we'd make the pool as long as we could so I can swim laps...it's about 2/3rds the length of a normal lap pool.

I added auto fill and auto drain after the fact, so of course that info never made it to the plumber :). He is in the process of adding them now. Luckily I had plenty of time to catch it since he's been at my house almost every day for the past 3 weeks lol

• Wow
Reactions: TampaKathy

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Man that water is pretty stubborn about holding onto the green! Hopefully you'll get the blue once they start the chlorine. Mine changed within an hour of that. The pump and filter are running, right? I didn't have a working pressure gauge until a couple weeks in, so I ended up cleaning my filter every day.

You can start building up CYA right away. It just won't do anything without chlorine.

Man that water is pretty stubborn about holding onto the green! Hopefully you'll get the blue once they start the chlorine. Mine changed within an hour of that. The pump and filter are running, right? I didn't have a working pressure gauge until a couple weeks in, so I ended up cleaning my filter every day.

You can start building up CYA right away. It just won't do anything without chlorine.
The pump and filter are running...but I am getting an in-floor cleaning system which needs pop-ups to blow the dirt towards the main drain but they haven't installed the pop-ups yet so the dirt isn't exactly making it's way to the drain. I guess I'll brush it that way later. I brushed the walls and steps today but not the floor yet. Oh, ok on the CYA :) Tomorrow I should be getting chlorine. I emailed the office to ask when I am getting the pop-up heads...they'll probably tell me my favorite time frame, "soon." :)

Reactions: HermanTX
The pump and filter are running...but I am getting an in-floor cleaning system which needs pop-ups to blow the dirt towards the main drain but they haven't installed the pop-ups yet so the dirt isn't exactly making it's way to the drain. I guess I'll brush it that way later. I brushed the walls and steps today but not the floor yet. Oh, ok on the CYA :) Tomorrow I should be getting chlorine. I emailed the office to ask when I am getting the pop-up heads...they'll probably tell me my favorite time frame, "soon." :)
I don't even have a functional main drain. It's tied with a pipe to the skimmer housing... I don't think much water flows through there at all. But the robot I got last weekend did an excellent job of getting up a bunch of dirt (well, sand around here) that I didn't even know was on the bottom. I told my son that he gets to name the robot, but he hasn't yet.

Man that water is pretty stubborn about holding onto the green!.
Ours is wet edge too and was a similar green--I called it neon green. Thank goodness someone (not builder) warned me--said don't panic, it will be green for about ten days. And then it got much better.

To me the color is still changing (maybe due to cloudy weather) but I am very happy with it. It took a while though (ha ha).

Last edited:
I can't believe your builder forgot the auto fill. I like having one (and I didn't know I was getting one--was surprised when I found out when shown how to turn it on).
I confess I have mixed feelings about not getting it as I read stories of people having issues with them. He did put in the manual fill line so we just go to where the faucets are and turn it on, rather than drag a hose over, which would be a pain and was before they finished connecting the manual fill line. Not sure how they could have done the plumbing for it and not made it auto fill but this does make us pay attention to any water loss. We don’t lose much to evaporation here in SF Bay Area, but kids splashing water into the unfinished autocover vault has been main source of water loss thus far.

Reactions: Cena_sea
I didn't think I'd mind not having an auto fill as long as we had the overflow - but certain weeks I lost a LOT and it's a little annoying to go get the hose and time it. What I considered doing was tying an irrigation valve into the pool plumbing so that I could use my controller and set it to 30 minutes every so often, but I think the easier option is to do the auto fill for barely any more money. I'm getting the one with the standard toilet insert which I'm used to working with so it shouldn't be a problem. Usually toilets run because of the flapper breaking down, not those new valves.

Worst case, I figure we have a Flume water monitor that will tell me if it runs for more than a couple of hours. Don't ask me if I recommend Flume - I'm on my FOURTH unit in not even 3 years. To be fair, their customer service is excellent and paid for it each time except for the discounted $50 upgrade to Flume 2.0 after the warranty was out. Worth the savings from risking a big leak when you're out of town I guess.

We better not move for a couple decades now - I've done way too much work to this dang place to give it to someone else.

I didn't think I'd mind not having an auto fill as long as we had the overflow - but certain weeks I lost a LOT and it's a little annoying to go get the hose and time it. What I considered doing was tying an irrigation valve into the pool plumbing so that I could use my controller and set it to 30 minutes every so often, but I think the easier option is to do the auto fill for barely any more money. I'm getting the one with the standard toilet insert which I'm used to working with so it shouldn't be a problem. Usually toilets run because of the flapper breaking down, not those new valves.

Worst case, I figure we have a Flume water monitor that will tell me if it runs for more than a couple of hours. Don't ask me if I recommend Flume - I'm on my FOURTH unit in not even 3 years. To be fair, their customer service is excellent and paid for it each time except for the discounted $50 upgrade to Flume 2.0 after the warranty was out. Worth the savings from risking a big leak when you're out of town I guess.

We better not move for a couple decades now - I've done way too much work to this dang place to give it to someone else.
We have neither. While I wish we had both (it never came up) with our Tampa Bay weather, if I could have only one it would be the auto drain. Almost by definition, if I am filling, the weather is dry and sunny. If I have to drain, I'm heading out into the storm.

I think that profile picture of watching the game from a floatie says it all.
We have neither. While I wish we had both (it never came up) with our Tampa Bay weather, if I could have only one it would be the auto drain. Almost by definition, if I am filling, the weather is dry and sunny. If I have to drain, I'm heading out into the storm.
Agreed. Also have neither, and I would sooner buy the autodrain over an autofill. I don't like the idea of not being able to see the water level drop, as that's typically going to be the first clue into a leak. And honestly filling it a bit is not that troublesome to me. I typically just drop in the hose while I'm doing testing and skimming and that's plenty of time.

With all the things we've done to our home in the last few years (pool, garagemahal, hurricane windows) our plan is to be carried out feet first.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.