First Pool Step Too Deep, Need Ideas!

Yes, 16" would be unmanageable for me without a handrail. Also, see how 4 steps might crowd your feet getting in and out. Here's how ours mapped out and feel great under foot with the first entry 13", which would be better a few inches lower.
The 16" is from the pool floor up to the next step after we makes the changes.

Usually the skimmer is installed prior to rebar, rebar is put around the skimmer, and the skimmer is encased in gunite to make it part of the pool shell structure.
We wanted the pool skimmer outside the coping as we are not doing a paver deck. By doing this, it had to be outside the pool walls. I am not sure if this matters regarding your point.

That will be much better compared to 16", 12", 12", 12" . The last drop should not be an issue because at that point you start floating more.

I would say that 12" is still high for kids or older people, mine are 10" height X 14 width and I find it is still relatively high. But for some reason 12" seem to be some sort of standard in the pool industry.
I agree it will be much better, but still not perfect. I should have moved the stairs to the left more and added a fourth step. I don't want to add a fourth step now as it won't match up with the hottub wall. 12" is a little steeper than I thought it would be, but manageable in our opinion. Our only concern is elderly people as we feel kids are just going to jump in anyways or use the sun shelf.

I think I have narrowed it down to top - bottom 12", 12", 16" with no triangle step, or same layout with a triangle step. It is just impossible for me to know how difficult it will be to get up the 16" step once you are in water.
My steps are each 12". Walking up them during gunite stage seemed like they were a little tall. Once water was filled, you go up and down with ease. The water will help "assist" you.

Reactions: pigskintd
We wanted the pool skimmer outside the coping as we are not doing a paver deck. By doing this, it had to be outside the pool walls. I am not sure if this matters regarding your point.

I wish you luck with that as you risk the skimmer separating from the pool wall. It all depends how your PB anchors it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.