First Pool Build----MO

blake5676

Jul 5, 2021
Kansas City
Hi all! My wife and I are getting closer to picking a builder and starting our first pool build. We considered two years ago but lead times were too far away and our kiddos were still young enough that we were fine waiting a bit. Anyhow, we've had a few builders out to the house (some fiberglass and some vinyl). Currently leaning towards vinyl and we received what I would call a ballpark summary of build price and job details. I was hoping I could post the stats/specs and get some feedback from those smarter than me for things to add/subtract and more detail to ask of the builder. The guy we like has been building pools for 40 years but technology is not his strong suit...I received this "bid" written out on a legal pad after a site meeting this past Sunday.

-18x36 rectangle vinyl pool - was told they use Cardinal Systems for pool walls (haven't decided exact depths but not doing deep end) *approx 21,000 gallons*
-full-width tanning ledge approx 18x6 dimensions w/vinyl over stairs
-Tara pool liner 27mil
- autocover (pricey!)
-Pentair electric h/c (Ultratemp 120)
-Pentair TR60 sand filter
-Pentair 1.5HP variable speed pump
-saltwater kit (no idea what this line is but possibly SWG?)
-Dolpin S-200 robotic pool cleaner
-3 white microbrite LED lights
-2 main drains
-2 skimmer boxes
-3 returns
-concrete cantilever ledge/coping
-test kits, hoses, vaccums, startup chemicals, etc

Thats a quick regurgitation of the "bid" we were sent today. Would really appreciate any feedback or questions I should be asking!! I joined this site two years ago and have enjoyed reading all that everyone shares. Super nice to have a community and resource like TFP with people willing to share and help out!

Blake...welcome and we're all happy to sus out your pool ideas....
The only thing I would recommend different is a 3hp Intellicenter VS pump, in a package with the IC-40 or IC-60 salt cell and automation by Pentair. Perhaps a few more returns, but otherwise looks pretty darn good to me! Others may have input in the heatpump which I don't do. :mrgreen:

Reactions: blake5676
I appreciate the reply! Still trying to do more research....the equipment side is where I feel most naive and green. I've researched the heck out of concrete vs vinyl vs fiberglass but should have spent more time on the equipment. I guess I need to do some more math to understand your recommendations. I know I've read that you want a SWG rated for double your pool volume but the 3HP pump and automation I need to wrap my head around. And I mean that by way of saying I'm not doubting your suggestion, I just need to learn why you're saying that :ROFLMAO: Thanks again for chiming in!

OH GOODIE! A new pool to build! THANKS!

First thing to do is ask him for model numbers for ALL of the equipment. That way we can make sure it is what your pool needs.

Ask him what the saltwater kit is. It might be a test kit for all we know right now.

Have you received and checked any of his builds?

Kim:kim:

I just text him to ask what "saltwater kit" meant on the bid sheet and he replied "ALL OF COMPONENTS FOR SALTWATER" hahahaha.

I think I'm going to have to sit down and explain to him that I need more thorough details than that. I don't think this guy even uses the internet and he does all bids with pen and paper.

In regards to his builds, I've had two friends use him with success and he's been around the KC area for more than 40 years. I'm not super worried about reputation. I will say there are probably 10+ newer pool companies since Covid hit but I've stayed pretty clear of them.

Ok...so we are under contract and deposit paid! Shooting for end of May/first week of June for install. That being said, I do have time to make some small switches and tweaks before the equipment gets ordered.

After speaking more with the builder, even though our pools is 18x36 when you take into account the steps and 6-7 feet of full width sundeck the total volume drops a decent amount from my first calculation. He's estimating roughly 17-18k gallons. Not sure if that info would change anyone's suggestions but thought it pertinent.

Anyhow, the SWG is 523081 30K ICHLOR Pentair. That was one of the details I didn't have on my above list.

Also...I feel like I hear a lot about Jandy valves when I've previously read through threads on here. The valves I see listed on my sheet are Praher 2" single union ball valves. Is that a big no-no from those with experience?

Thanks again for any feedback. It's much appreciated for a novice like myself!

Anyhow, the SWG is 523081 30K ICHLOR Pentair.
That's the budget model. Get the IC40.
The valves I see listed on my sheet are Praher 2" single union ball valves. Is that a big no-no from those with experience?
Correct. In 2-5 years you will be replacing them with the Jandy neverlubes (or Pentair/Hayward equivalents) that should have been used on day one, for that reason. If you're not handy to DIY, you'll be paying a handsome fee to a plumber also.

Reactions: blake5676

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That's the budget model. Get the IC40.

Correct. In 2-5 years you will be replacing them with the Jandy neverlubes (or Pentair/Hayward equivalents) that should have been used on day one, for that reason. If you're not handy to DIY, you'll be paying a handsome fee to a plumber also.
Thank you! I was thinking that was pretty much the scenario I had read about before in regards to the valves but wasn't positive. Is there a particular Jandy valve you suggest I tell him I'd prefer?

Is there a particular Jandy valve you suggest I tell him I'd prefer?
Jandy has the 'neverlube' and Pentair/Hayward simply go by 2 way or 3 way valve. They are all rebuildable but the irony is that you'll get a generation from them. Ball valves on the other hand need to come apart every couple of seasons and most brands don't come apart meaning a replumb.

Can I ask how much your quote was and who the pool builder is? I am also in KC area, and starting to meet with different PB's for my job. I have been thinking 16 x 41 Fiberglass, but starting to get cold feet on the width. Leaning towards 20x40 liner pool. Otherwise, our builds sound pretty similar.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.