First Opening With Taylor Kit

May 11, 2017
Hamilton, Ontario
Hello all, This is my first year opening my 18,500 gallon in ground saltwater pool with my Taylor kit. Water is still cold here in Canada but it's clear. My readings are as follows:

PH - 7.2 to 7.4
Alkalinity - 80 to 90
Calcium Hardness - 60
CYA - has to be zero
Free Chlorine - Has to be zero

I believe a need a Crud ton, 16 liters (wow) of liquid stabilizer and 7 liters of liquid chlorine (thoughts) and that's it for starters, I don't believe I need to shock....or should I? I won't be heating the pool up for another month but want to get started before it turns green :) Thanks

Good job on the testing.

CYA is cheaper if you buy the granular. Just put it in a sock or stocking and place in skimmer with the pump running. Depending on volume needed (could you fill out your Signature?) you may have to do it in two steps. I would not add more than 20 ppm worth as it is unlikely you have 0 CYA if you had some in the pool when it was closed.

Get 3 ppm FC in the water now.

Your testing will tell you if you need to SLAM Process

Another question if I may, I opened my pool early to prevent the water from turning green. If it's still cold outside 50 degrees and my water is still cold, how often do I need to run my pump? I have been running it for 4 hours every 2 or 3 days (instead of 6 to 8 hours a day) but wonder if that's too much or not enough.

This is a silly answer but it's the right one......run it enough to keep your pool clean.

My GUESS (and it's a Wild Guess) is 4 hours daily and then slowly cut it back until your pool isn't as clean as you like......then increase your run time until you are once again happy with how the pool looks.

With your VS pump, you may even find a spot where you can run it on low 24/7 and still produce chlorine and keep your pool spotless.

This is a silly answer but it's the right one......run it enough to keep your pool clean.

My GUESS (and it's a Wild Guess) is 4 hours daily and then slowly cut it back until your pool isn't as clean as you like......then increase your run time until you are once again happy with how the pool looks.

With your VS pump, you may even find a spot where you can run it on low 24/7 and still produce chlorine and keep your pool spotless.
Doesn't sound silly to me, thanks for the help. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.