bkrepfle

Jul 15, 2020
Talleyville, DE
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My wife and I opened our agp 2 days ago. We rolled the cover across the pool, and we were all the way at the end. As we were ready to pull the last bit out of the pool, there was a pocket of water that my cover pump wasnt able to reach, and this nasty, stagnant water found its way into the pool, along with a lot of the spring pollen drop i was trying to keep out.

This was totally gross, and completely flattening, considering i had crystal clear water under the cover. It was so bad, that it appeared there was mosquito larvae swimming in the pool. And the smell was completely gross.

So, Im curious how you guys would have handled this. What I have done so far is added water and hooked up filter, that has been running 24/7, and running the vaccum during the day. I have also balanced the water and slammed the pool.

What we have now is clear water, no mosquito larvae signs anymore, however there is this really fine black granules that are floating around in the water when disturbed from the vaccum. Im wondering if they might be mosquito eggs. Im guesssing this just needs more time to run and filter this stuff out, but looking for any suggestions. Assuming i might want to think about changing the sand in my filter after this, even though its only the second year, this was quite a heavy load of debris into the filter.

You are correct. In time this will filter out. I don't think you need to change the sand in the filter, but if you wish you could do a deep cleaning. You can also add some DE to the filter to help capture the finer debris.

I would continue the SLAM Process in its entirety until you pass all 3 SLAM criteria. Then you should be okay until the filter can capture any remaining residual junk.
Thanks, although i think ive met all 3 criteria already. I had less than 1 ppm chlorine drop last night, water is clear, and, to my surprise, i am not reading any combined chlorine. I added 1.5 gallons of bleach to the pool once i was able to get the pump running. It seems that was enough combined with what was left for winterizing to slam and kill off everything that was in there. It seems im just left with a little unwanted debris which should eventually filter out. I dont think the small black spheres are mosquito eggs anymore, rather i think they may be parts of golden rod pollen that have released from the rod. Hoping to get rid of the crud in another day or two.

As we were ready to pull the last bit out of the pool, there was a pocket of water that my cover pump wasnt able to reach, and this nasty, stagnant water found its way into the pool, along with a lot of the spring pollen drop i was trying to keep out.
Reminds me of when I still had a solid cover (with water tubes all along the edges to hold it in place...wow...sure would never want to go back to that again). The cover, unbeknownst to me at first, had ripped while trying to get it off. Baled and baled to no avail and the result was pretty much what you described. The whole "swamp" that typically accumulated on top of the cover during the off season wound up in the pool. I'd never go back to other than a meyco cover with deck anchors.

For the future get u one of these
BB38133C-056D-4D9F-95A3-690536EDFC52.png
i put something heavy on mine & brush all the water towards it so it gets pretty much bone dry before i take the cover off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.