First opening as a not-total-newbie. Chemical advice...

capricatunes

Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2020
Minneapolis
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I've owned this pool for 1.5 years. This is my first opening where I feel like I have a decent handle on things. Mid-summer last year I started the Trouble Free methods and bought a proper test kit. I've learned a lot. I closed the pool well, and opened to a pretty darn clean pool! It had a fair amount of dust on the bottom, and _some_ (green) algae in a few crevices.

Here are my results after filling, vacuuming, and adding 5 gallons of bleach three days ago:

Free Chlorine: 5.5
Combined Chlorine: 0.5
pH: 7.2
Total Alkalinity: 60
Calcium Hardness: 75
CYA: 30

1. Should I SLAM? Considering 5 gallons of chlorine was added three days ago, should I assume a 5.5 FC means I have organics that are eating that chlorine up? It's still cold here; it's been sunny. Or, should I do FC measurement 2x / day and use that to determine if a SLAM is appropriate?
  2. I was considering bumping that CYA up. Yes/no?
  3. Should I raise that pH? Or just leave it? It had a tendency to drift upward last summer...
  4. Any other adjustments recommended?
  5. If I do need to adjust, what order would you suggest I do things?
  6. As a side note, do you usually SLAM for a few days when opening no matter what?
Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.