First Build. Am I crazy?

Yes, pretty much every liner manufacturer has a few textured liners in their sample book.
What makes you think they "just feel like slippery plastic"? That hasn't been my experience.

Last edited:
I would personally never trade the functionality of a swimmable, clean looking liner pool for the perceived "natural" look you are trying to achieve. That structure will leak without a liner.....practically guaranteed.

Merged threads -- TFP Mod

Hi All,

I have a previous thread here if you want to catch up on my progress.

I have run into some issues with this pool and I am hoping you all can help me figure out what to do. If you look at the previous thread you will see what I was trying to do. Basically, I have an old garage footing wall that I intend to turn into a pool. Yah, its crazy but I like to live on that side of this world.

I have the pool basically ready for waterproofing but do not know what to do at this point as I keep running into dead ends.

The options I have researched so far:

Vinyl liner - Many people on this forum suggested this but the liner guys are not thinking that this will work on a concrete form. I have researched and it doesnt seem like its a good idea.
Tile: I would love to put down some Schluter type of crack isolation membrane and then tile but Schluter says that this is not an approved method for their material.

My main issue, as I see it, is that the structure has many cold joints and existing cracks that need to be isolated. Is there a system that could get me to a point where I could waterproof this crazy structure?

All in, Im about $3k into the project (including the deck), looking to spend another 2-3k. I'm doing all the labor.....This is not a professional project, so I am open to any suggestions.

Any thoughts would be sincerely appreciated!

Thanks. See attached pics.

Attachments

• IMG_5216.jpg
    IMG_5216.jpg
    680.7 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_5218.jpg
    IMG_5218.jpg
    826.7 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_5223.jpg
    IMG_5223.jpg
    634.1 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_5221.jpg
    IMG_5221.jpg
    765.5 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_5220.jpg
    IMG_5220.jpg
    650.3 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_5215.jpg
    IMG_5215.jpg
    749.2 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_5222.jpg
    IMG_5222.jpg
    695.6 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_5217.jpg
    IMG_5217.jpg
    736.5 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_5219.jpg
    IMG_5219.jpg
    656.4 KB · Views: 55
Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t think you are going to get any different answers then in your prior thread.

No company is going to tell you their stuff will work for your redneck pool. You have to pick one method - vinyl liner, tile, or plaster and give it a try. I doubt any of them will last more then a year or two. Feel free to prove me wrong.

Wowzer...impressive vision and a lot of work already, one Small problem, that is not a swimming pool structure. Here is a link I recall from many years past....poor guy spent years trying to build a pool, super meticulous, just could never get it to hold water. Last I checked on google earth, the pool is empty to this day.

Concrete tiled pool

You should really just keep it all in one tread. But now that we are here... These quotes from the previous thread seem to be the most relevant to me..

"With the unorthodox construction method here, a membrane type might be more suitable, but could also be a bit costly."

"I would personally never trade the functionality of a swimmable, clean looking liner pool for the perceived "natural" look you are trying to achieve. That structure will leak without a liner.....practically guaranteed."

No one has mentioned that you have no idea on how that floor was prepped or poured. Once you add all the weight of the water it could very well move. Not to mention the likely hood of the walls moving or delaminating as well. A flexible coat would seem to be a must.

Vinyl liner - Many people on this forum suggested this but the liner guys are not thinking that this will work on a concrete form. I have researched and it doesnt seem like its a good idea.

What are the issues that would make a liner fail?

You should really just keep it all in one tread. But now that we are here... These quotes from the previous thread seem to be the most relevant to me..

"With the unorthodox construction method here, a membrane type might be more suitable, but could also be a bit costly."

"I would personally never trade the functionality of a swimmable, clean looking liner pool for the perceived "natural" look you are trying to achieve. That structure will leak without a liner.....practically guaranteed."

No one has mentioned that you have no idea on how that floor was prepped or poured. Once you add all the weight of the water it could very well move. Not to mention the likely hood of the walls moving or delaminating as well. A flexible coat would seem to be a must.

What are the issues that would make a liner fail?
I would be all about a vinyl liner but I have installed non-liner fittings so I’m not sure it’s an option at this point.

I am open to a membrane but I’m not sure how to finish it out. It seems like I could use a red hard/hydro ban type product but then how would I protect that membrane? It doesn’t seem like you can put a cementious material over them as the materials will move differently and cause cracking.

is there a membrane that can be left exposed to UV or somehow painted over?

thanks for your input.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.