Fired the pool guy, I'm taking over! Levels and questions.

Getting ready to do my water exchange, how big a temperature difference would indicate I need to drain from the step and fill from the deep end? Also, can I use my autofill for the filling part or am I better off w/ a hose inside a bucket on the step?

I would think a 5 degree difference. I assume you do not have high CH or saltwater.

You are better off using a hose as your autofill enters the pool 12-18” under the surface.

Water Exchange is currently under way! My current plan is to let it run into the evening, then retest my levels and see how much we've improved the CYA and CH. Do you think I should turn on the pool pump and circulate the water a bit before I test, since we are taking pains to not mix the water?

IMG_2066.jpg IMG_2067.jpg IMG_2068.jpg

Water Exchange is currently under way! My current plan is to let it run into the evening, then retest my levels and see how much we've improved the CYA and CH. Do you think I should turn on the pool pump and circulate the water a bit before I test, since we are taking pains to not mix the water?

View attachment 100202View attachment 100203View attachment 100204
You want to try and not mix any water until you've exchanged a high enough quantity to affect CYA/CH levels.

I have my hose on full blast but I’ve still dropped the after level 4-6” over 7 hrs. Should I shut off the pump and let the level come back up or just let it keep exchanging? Still not sure beyond “a few days” how long to let this go.

If that doesn't work, maybe a valve in the pump discharge hose, one of the ball valves you can get at HD would be nice. I don't think 6" will hurt but you shouldn't let it go too much further. The whole idea is to eliminate risk to the structure. Taking a little more time is worth the effort in my opinion because the consequences of the wrong guess are so great.

Chris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, it seems to have been successful! I ran it for just over 24 hours which should have exchanged 85% of the water. Here's my post exchange test results:

FC: 0
CC: 0
pH: 8.1
TA: 140
CH: 400
CYA: 20

I've added bleach and muriatic acid to get the FC and pH where we want them (not at the same time of course.) I'm sure w/ my waterfall I'll bring the TA in line over time. I've got stabilizer to add for the CYA, but I'm going to clean my filter and triple check the reading as I don't want to push it too high.

Thanks all for the help with this process, especially @mknauss!

Looks good. Be sure the pool water is very well mixed prior to making any large chemical add. Though your numbers look like a pretty close to 85% exchange.

Do get chlorine in the water now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.