Fire Pit Help

Sep 2, 2016
Roseville
Hi All,

I have an existing wood burning stone fire pit that the previous owner of mybhouse had built.

I am looking at converting it over to propane and I read by code and for safety I need a vent on two sides of the fire pit.

Here comes the question...how do I cut through cleanly on rocks/stone? I am already halfway through because the inside is brick...that part was easy. How do I do the outside with clean cuts for my rectangle vents?

Please see attached picture...

http://s1042.photobucket.com/user/Offroad322/media/20171016_133023_resized_zps7zsmvr21.jpg.html?filters[user]=146901177&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

FYI -- Photobucket does not work unless you pay them $400 per year.

As far as your question - if it is natural stone I doubt you will be able to get clean cuts. You might have to patch them with fragments but normally natural stone tends to fracture unpredictably.

A diamond blade could be tried. What about a Dremel?

Take care.

Would the diamond hole saw bit go through the rocks? These are fist size and bigger rocks mortared to the outside of the fire pit.

I highly doubt it. Those stones are incredibly dense and they’ll fracture well before you ever get halfway through them. Even so, you’ll chew through a dozen diamond saws in the process.

Unfortunately you are going about this backwards as one would normally build the vent hole first and then place the stone work around it. Therefore I would suggest you chisel out all the stones around the through-hole in the fire brick, add in your vent pipe and then rework the stones.

Honestly, I would remove all the stones and completely redo the facade of the pit with pre-cast stacked stone veneer that you can easily cut to fit.

Not sure if anyone is still following my thread, but I managed to remove the stones like BEGREEN said. Any suggestions on framing/install the vent covers? They are flat vent covers so I am just looking for something to screw them to and the mortar around and add small rocks to blend in.

Attached picture is before I removed the rocks...just so you can see what my vent covers look like.

Thank you!

Not sure if anyone is still following my thread, but I managed to remove the stones like BEGREEN said. Any suggestions on framing/install the vent covers? They are flat vent covers so I am just looking for something to screw them to and the mortar around and add small rocks to blend in.

Attached picture is before I removed the rocks...just so you can see what my vent covers look like.

Thank you!

No pics :(

I see the vent panels are made of stainless steel, I would preshape the panel to fit the contour of the fire pit and use a carbide bit to drill, plastic anchors and stainless steel screws.

Another thought is to mount it on the inside to hide it even better

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.