Fire Company Fill - Acceptable Iron

May 24, 2010
Southern NJ
My local fire company is willing to fill my pool. I have well water and I think they may be pulling the source water directly from the ground also. What would be an acceptable iron level to fill with? We have a pebble finish gunite pool.

The easiest rule of thumb for metal concentrations is you want them to be as close to 0 as possible. Typically speaking, iron in concentrations greater than 0.3ppm will start to scale out of solution and form brown water (tea colored) or yellow stains on pool surfaces.

You may want to fill from your well through iron water filters.

The fire department is simply going to hook up to a hydrant nearest your home. So whatever the water quality is out of the municipal hydrant, that’s what you’ll get.

The fire department is simply going to hook up to a hydrant nearest your home. So whatever the water quality is out of the municipal hydrant, that’s what you’ll get.
That's exactly what they told me. I am going to get a water sample from them before giving the fire company the green light to come. I was going to take the sample to my local pool store to just see what the level is.

So I had the water tested and the pool store is stating that there is about 3ppm of iron in the water.

That is about 10X the iron level that can cause staining.

Iron in concentrations greater than 0.3ppm will start to scale out of solution and form brown water (tea colored) or yellow stains on pool surfaces.

I would find other water. Or figure out a way to filter the water of iron.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.