*Finished* Pool Build in Cape Haze peninsula SW Florida

AlanE

LifeTime Supporter
Good Morning!

After waiting 48 years, I'm finally getting a pool! This will be our (well mostly my wife's) anniversary present. Though not much of a surprise since she already knows all about it. :)

A tiny bit about me and my wife: We're like Oil and Water. We agree on very little and always.. umm - discuss? - everything. When it came time to picking out the shape of the pool, color of the pebble finish, water tile, coping color, deck paver style *and* color and pool cage design/color, well I was planning on having to make a doctor appointment for some heavy tranquilizers.

First PB we visited we agreed on nothing. Not a single thing. Typical and expected. We tabled the pool idea for a few months. We tried another PB and I have to say this guy is good. He asked what kind of pool shape we were thinking about and all I thought was "hear we go again...". Neither one of us said anything right away. I suspect she was thinking along the same lines, "Here comes the stubborn husbands objection to everything." He said, "well lets just put something on the computer for the heck of it." We both looked at each other and said, "We love it!" :eek: Almost everything he came up with we liked. A few things not so much but I kept saying to myself that this is for my wife so she'll get what she wants. Yeah I'm that nice... or married too long to know better. :oops:

We decided on a 23.6 x 14 free form pool. From 3.6 to 5.6 depth. Not very big but we have no children living at home. Our son, his wife and 2 grandsons come down for a couple of weeks in April. The pool cage will be a mansard style in a bronze color. Totally clashes with our house color, in my opinion, but we are painting the house. Some day. We chose a Chestnut Buff Charcoal colored paver in Mega Stone pattern. should look good.

Paver color:
ChestnutBuffCharcoal.jpg

In this pattern:
MegaStone.jpg

We signed the contract about May 24th and gave up a deposit. They ordered the pavers. Before they applied for the permit we already had to make a change. The set back from the side property edge must be 6'. Our house is at 8'. Not enough room to put the equipment around the side of the house where it would have been out of site. So now it will be right in the back. I hope the pentair VS Intelliflo is as quiet as they say it is? So now the permit app is in and we wait. They submitted two permits apps that day. The first permit went through intake, ROW, Zoning, and Bldg Examiners quickly. We thought "Great they'll be building in a couple of weeks!" We waited for action on ours. It went through intake, ROW (I have no idea what this is), Zoning but when it got the Bldg Examiner, well, they decided to go on vacation! :grrrr: So we wait and wait. Finally a month later our permit is ready to pick up.

This is where we are so far today. Now well into the rain season. Figures right? Years of dry summers and this year - when we want to put in a pool - Ma nature decides to have a normal summer. Water tables are rising... I'm a pessimist so I'm gearing up for the worse. The PB said they will start Monday or Tuesday. I'm guessing Tuesday and since we're up against July 4th, guess how much will get done? Oh well...

9:30am - 90 degrees F and the enemy is gathering strength against the Gulf breeze:
IMG-20130629-00005.jpg

Here is a before pic:
103_5985md.jpg

Alan

Re: Pool Build in Cape Haze peninsula SW Florida

Congratulations! I know just how you feel. We are waiting on our permit, and I have wanted a pool my entire life - I turn 39 next week! Can't wait to see the progress!

Well, at least I can say they showed up today.

IMG-20130701-00006.jpg

This is as far as they got. They scraped off the vegetation but left the gravel and plants for the next load. They were supposed to finish that today but as you can tell from the picture, it rained.

PB called and said they were hoping to shoot the shell this Friday but because of the weather, they won't. They *may* be back tomorrow to finish scraping off the vegetation (costs $600 for that). So nothing more than that will happen until next week.

They'll do the layout, dig and steel Monday and Tuesday and we'll wait for the inspection. Hopefully that will happen Tuesday or the hole will fill with water. Wednesday they said they *may* shoot.

They also dropped some stuff off. Rebar, piping, wood, and other stuff. I hope the local garbage stealer doesn't grab that rebar. :)

IMG-20130701-00007.jpg

Oh and that black spot in between the skid steers tracks about 15' up from the road was where a tree my wife bought me for my birthday a few years ago used to sit. Yeah we buy crazy little things like that for each other. It was really growing this year too. It's now sitting next to my car. We will replant it as soon as it stops raining long enough to dig a hole.

More work today. They did the layout. We had 7" of rain last month and 4" of rain so far this month with more coming later today. Too bad this didn't happen until after the pool was done. Rain would have filled some of it for free.

IMG-20130703-00015.jpg

Holiday so no work being done but I took this shot from inside the lanai. We're hoping the structure is strong enough to be able to remove this post in the picture. This will all be opened to the new cage. They are replacing the posts with 3x3 since the existing posts will not be strong enough once they remove the frames for the screen. Lanai is 16' x 10' and the headers are 8 1/2". Any engineers out there?

Lanai1.jpg

Cat checking the layout while the camera shy dog peeks out.

Nothing new to report except today I wondered why the windows were fogged on the inside of the car I am working on, the one in the driveway in one of the pics above. Turned out one of the sunroof drain tubes came loose. I had to vac 4" of water out of the car. :rant:

Congrats on your new pool build. It is a challenging process but you will enjoy it for years to come. Keep the pics coming. :cheers: :cheers:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

We got a break from the rain. Only a passing cloud dropped a few sprinkles. We decided to haul out the paint and paint the back of the house. We still need to do inside the screen area but we'll hit that with a roller.

IMG-20130707-00026.jpg

If the rain holds off I think we'll see a hole and maybe steel tomorrow.

Brentr said:
Congrats on your new pool build. It is a challenging process but you will enjoy it for years to come. Keep the pics coming. :cheers: :cheers:
Thanks! I checked out your Dolphin Bar & Grill build. Real nice pool. Love the cage color. I think we made the right choice. Some of our friends have the white cage color and after a few years it gets dirty and mildew growing on it. I'm sure the same happens for Bronze you just never see it. :cool:

More work was done today. They've excavated and started to put up the steel. There is so much water they had to install a pump and it is still running pushing out water. Also the ground is so saturated it started to collapse next to the house.

IMG-20130708-00039.jpg

IMG-20130708-00035.jpg

IMG-20130708-00038.jpg

One guy said he was tired of shoveling mud. I told him it was job security around here. He didn't get the joke.

Steel is now done although you can't really get a good look at it. I guess they covered it in plastic to "protect" it from the rain. Not that it will do any good the way they covered it. :hammer: I noticed they didn't put the blocks under the steel either.

IMG-20130709-00046.jpg

Now that the blazing sun is out of my eyes and the wind moved the plastic around I took some more pictures.

IMG-20130709-00048.jpg

IMG-20130709-00053.jpg

24 hours later, still pumping out water.
IMG-20130709-00052.jpg

flooding my backyard which probably just soaks down and back to the pump. :?
IMG-20130709-00050.jpg

Don't have much to show today. They shot it this morning. PB took these pictures for me.

photo%201.JPG

photo%202.JPG

photo%203.JPG

Right now it's covered in plastic and about 3 feet of water in and around it. You can kind of get an idea of the size now. As mentioned it won't be a big pool. :)

I took a bunch of pictures during the day and my SD card went bad. I had to retake these later.

The area where the equipment will go. The plumbing is done and currently pressurized.
IMG-20130712-00090.jpg

Coping and water tile are done.
IMG-20130712-00091.jpg

Sun shelf
IMG-20130712-00096.jpg

It didn't rain at all today. They shut off the pump about an hour ago. This is the water that came back in since then.
IMG-20130712-00098.jpg

Water tile
IMG-20130712-00093.jpg

Close up. All tiles are have a different pattern but in general look like this:
IMG-20130712-00094.jpg

Close up of tile around skimmer.
IMG-20130712-00092.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.