Finished my first slam, now onto mustard levels.

Aug 25, 2016
Brick / NJ
All,
Thank you for your help with my first slam. I used around 35 gallons of 12.5 bleach to get thru a 5 day slam when the pool was clear before starting the slam. I have moved onto raising up to mustard levels (29ppm - CYA of 50 for 24 hours) and I have one last question:
I know I need to raise my CYA to 70-80ppm in a SWCG pool as per pool school. I purposely kept it low (50PPM CYA) during the slam since I knew I had time to be by my pool to test every two to two and a half hours when the sun was up. Once I finish with the mustard level, do I wait until the chlorine is at my intended level and then add the CYA or do I add CYA when I start to let the Chlorine drift back down?
Also, since I've had this problem, is it better to keep chlorine elevated a little above the target chlorine level or just at the target level?
Thank you in advance!
IMG_20170604_113511.jpg

Nice work! :thumleft:

You can add the CYA in a sock or knee high now. I live in the woods and have lots of things adding stuff to my pool. I find that my pool does much better with slightly elevated chlorine levels. Keeping FC around 10% of CYA works well for me. So, with my CYA at 80 I aim for 8-9 FC and it always stays above target. Not sure where Brick is (you can add you state to your location so we can help better) but I also find that running on the high end of CYA recommendations is also helpful in my pool.

Nice work! :thumleft:

You can add the CYA in a sock or knee high now. I live in the woods and have lots of things adding stuff to my pool. I find that my pool does much better with slightly elevated chlorine levels. Keeping FC around 10% of CYA works well for me. So, with my CYA at 80 I aim for 8-9 FC and it always stays above target. Not sure where Brick is (you can add you state to your location so we can help better) but I also find that running on the high end of CYA recommendations is also helpful in my pool.

Thanks for the advice. I just added my state to my bio. I use a liquid stabilizer so I'll start adding it tonight and monitor it for the next few days. When can I start to use my robot cleaner? Is it safe now?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.