Finding strange things in the pool

Pictures, or it didn't happen! lol :)

I never saw it. My wife found it. Every time she mentions it, it gets bigger. Sort of like fish you caught. I have no idea where it came from. There are no ponds or creeks uphill from my house. I did find a crawfish some years back that was living in a hole in the yard near an underground spring. It could have come from my neighbor's backyard that had a lot of water running across it and over my backyard.

The occasional frog or toad. When we find them, we just take them over our nieghbor's small fish pond. I'm going to start tagging them though....I have feeling I keep catching and returning the same few frogs. They're starting to look familiar!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I thought the ducks were cute until a few years ago when they had baby ducks and one of them baked to death on my brick coping. It went from cute to tragic real quick.

The current wierd thing I get that I can't explain are little balls that look like BB's in the pre-filter area (don't know what it is called but basically the small filter with clear top before water gets to my primary DE filter). They tend to be shades of white, gray and blue. Any ideas?

• Wow
Reactions: markayash
Oh and before I re-did the tile around the rim of the pool, all my tiles were gradually coming apart from the wall and falling off. There were a ~6 baby snakes that lived between the tile and the wall. That was freaky.

So far this year I have found a couple of drowned rats, a couple of mice, a gopher, a few live frogs, and about 1,000+ various floating insects in mine. It's like a habit now to just walk out there in the morning and see what I have to dispose of that day!

I usually encounter a few drowning bugs in the water when I swim. I figure I can either save them or pull their corpses out of the skimmer later.

Today I rescued a drowning bug and set it down on the deck. As it was drying off, a lizard came running out of nowhere and ate it.

Funny or sad?

I thought the ducks were cute until a few years ago when they had baby ducks and one of them baked to death on my brick coping. It went from cute to tragic real quick.

The current wierd thing I get that I can't explain are little balls that look like BB's in the pre-filter area (don't know what it is called but basically the small filter with clear top before water gets to my primary DE filter). They tend to be shades of white, gray and blue. Any ideas?
Airsoft bullets. Got teens around your area?

Do you have a Nature2 type device?

n2_pebbles.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: ralphsyv
Do you have a Nature2 type device?

n2_pebbles.jpg

JamesW - That's it! Would you believe I moved into this house and inherited this pool in summer of 2006 - prior owners had installed a Nature 2 device. I've never done anything with it, just assumed it's "effectiveness" had worn out long long ago. I guess now it is falling apart from the inside out? They seem to release into my pre-filter area in spurts - i'll get a batch of 30 of those balls one day, then won't see them again for another year.

If anyone has need for a handful, please send a self-addressed, prepaid envelope to... JK.

Last edited:
Looks like bunny poop to me. We just had ducks hatch in the raised flower bed and 7 ducklings show up with mom soiling the pool bottom. My wife got mad when I opened the gate and her entertainment walked right out into the unknown. I tried explaining to her that ducklings don’t need chlorinated salt water and I think the mallard hen agreed.

Attachments

• DDB3CD44-BDE6-4B57-B63E-99253E0679DD.jpeg
    DDB3CD44-BDE6-4B57-B63E-99253E0679DD.jpeg
    64 KB · Views: 35

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.