Finally time to focus

It should just burn off, just don’t use it again. Check your HD for HDX liquid chlorine, it’s 10%.

For your CYA test it again tomorrow. With your back to the sun, test tube at waist height, fill the test tube to the 100 mark glance at down into the tube, if you see the dot then fill to next line and continue until you no longer see the dot. Don’t stare at it, you are just glancing. When you don’t see the dot that is your level.
Ah, ok .... i've been doing it in my "florida room" beside the pool, with the tube on a table, and looking down .... which I guess is the same as holding it waist height ....... but I've been staring at it the whole time I was adding the mix. It was getting cloudier and cloudier, just wasn't sure what constituted "no longer seeing". Will retry tomorrow, but based on what I added, it seems about right?

With having added 2.5 lbs of stabilizer that will only get you to around 13 cya. Test tomorrow as I explained and post your number and we will go from there.

You need to add enough bleach to get 5 ppm as you don’t want algae taking over your pool. Use pool math to determine how much bleach to add based on your pool volume and strength of your bleach.

Ok, so last night I had no bleach, so I added a 1 lb bag of shock.

Tested this morning:
FC only 1.5
CC 0
pH 6.8-7
CYA 20
TA 80

Tonight I just did the quick TC test: 0-0.5
So I added 128 oz of 10% bleach

Tested 15 mins later
TC 3.5
CC 1.0

Tested 1/2 later
TC 1.5
CC 2.0

What is going on. Getting really frustrated with all this (the pool) but I appreciate all the help.

It sounds like you’re fighting something in the pool eating up the chlorine. What type of shock did you add last night?

Maybe ammonia? I hear that eats up the chlorine and raises CC levels. Need lots of bleach to fight that. The advice there is to add enough to get to 10ppm FC, then test 15 mins later, then get it back up to 10 ppm. Repeat until it holds closer to 10ppm.

Maybe ammonia? I hear that eats up the chlorine and raises CC levels. Need lots of bleach to fight that. The advice there is to add enough to get to 10ppm FC, then test 15 mins later, then get it back up to 10 ppm. Repeat until it holds closer to 10ppm.
Yeah, I've seen a bit of that mentioned ...... but wouldn't my CC levels have been high all along then? ..... they've been low/zero recently.

Since earlier tonight I added 128 oz 10% .... pool math said that should have got me to 5 ppm. I only got to 3.5. So to get to 10, I'm looking at ~ 3 gallons of bleach .... and then need to possibly add more. So, before I start this process, how much bleach do I need to have on hand?

Even when clean I add about 2-3 gallons a week to my pool. (Our pools are similar sizes.) So I would get 4-8 gallons. Hopefully you will have some left when you get done with whatever is eating your chlorine and making your CCs.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Playing around with pool math for your size pool, in order to get from 0 FC to 5 you need to add 147 oz of 10% bleach.
Caroline .... I've tweaked the gallons on my pool: Pool math says 23000, the pool company has us on record (from previous owner at 18000), so I'm going in the middle! at 20,000. But I guess, if the 128 oz didn't increase to 5 FC, it could be closer to the 23,000?

If doing this ...
I add enough bleach to get to 10 ppm, then check every 15 mins to see if its holding ..... what is "holding"? 10? 9? ...... and if it drops, I bring it back up to 10 and check again every 15 mins til it finally "holds".

I would then continue with the SLAM process, holding at 10 until I pass the Over-night test.

Is this correct?

If your FC falls below five in the 15 minute test, add more chlorine to bring back to 10 and retest in 15 minutes. Keep doing this until your FC stops dropping below 5. Once your FC remains above 5 after a 15 minute test, then run your CYA test, if it’s below 30 add enough stabilizer to get you to 30.

Your SLAM will be based on a CYA 30 so you will need to keep your chlorine level at 12 as much as possible. Test a minimum of 3 times a day, more if you can. If it tests below 12 add enough chlorine to bring it back up to 12 each time. Once you are not losing an excessive amount of chlorine you can do the OCLT test over night.

Remember to brush the floor and walls as much as possible once your are in SLAM mode.

If you have a ladder and/or stairs remove them if possible and check for algae. They are great hiding place for things to grow.

Also check your skimmers and weir doors for any algae.

Please post back if you have questions or need further help.

If your FC falls below five in the 15 minute test, add more chlorine to bring back to 10 and retest in 15 minutes. Keep doing this until your FC stops dropping below 5. Once your FC remains above 5 after a 15 minute test, then run your CYA test, if it’s below 30 add enough stabilizer to get you to 30.

Your SLAM will be based on a CYA 30 so you will need to keep your chlorine level at 12 as much as possible. Test a minimum of 3 times a day, more if you can. If it tests below 12 add enough chlorine to bring it back up to 12 each time. Once you are not losing an excessive amount of chlorine you can do the OCLT test over night.

Remember to brush the floor and walls as much as possible once your are in SLAM mode.

If you have a ladder and/or stairs remove them if possible and check for algae. They are great hiding place for things to grow.

Also check your skimmers and weir doors for any algae.

Please post back if you have questions or need further help.
Thanks so much Caroline.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.