Finally ready to go to work on my green swamp!

Starting to see some of that "sparkle" that I've heard so much about.... can't believe that it has taken over two weeks to get to this point. When I started my POP was 0ppm :)

Attachments

• bluepool4.jpg
    bluepool4.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 109
  • bluepool5.jpg
    bluepool5.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 109
Really really nice! Yep, you're in the home stretch now. Great job!

Two weeks isn't bad for a swamp. Seriously. The reason it's taking so long is because you're doing it the right way. If you'd done it the pool store way you'd think this is as good as it gets and stop, or maybe would have stopped long ago. You're doing it till it's CLEAR and SPARKLING. The pool store way is to accept less as good enough. Probably so they can sell more shock product to us in a week or two. Pool stores say to shock weekly and then chlorine bomb pools once a month. So if you add all that up... their way takes longer!

Pool is looking great! At what point should I transition from running the pump 24/7 to a regular run schedule?

Also, I have noticed that the filter appears to be putting sand into the pool... not a lot, maybe a few tablespoons a day. I just vacuum it up or let the Polaris grab it. What do you guys think, bad seals in the multi-port valve?

Wow!! Sorry I missed this journey and so close after my own. Amazing results!!!

Sorry to hear about the sand filter. I would say a few tablespoons is not so bad, but that sand cannot be good for our vinyl surfaces. Mine was a lateral hub that looked like it was a victim of ice expansion. Not too hard to fix once you get to them.

Is it possible that a bad gasket in the multi-port valve could also let sand into the pool? (I read that in another thread)

It makes me wonder because I still occassionaly have a small leak out the waste line, a problem that I believe is usually linked to a broken/worn/unlubricated gasket...

I have not taken the valve off to have a look around yet :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK... I just got home. The water is crystal clear, but there is this "debris" on the steps and bottom of the pool that collects wherever there is a contour change, corners, etc.

This is definitely not sand, at least not the kind of sand that I've ever seen before! When I brush it it turns into a cloud that dissolves within seconds and is gone! Whatever it is, it is incredibly fine, like a rust-colored dust...

Gonna do the OCLT again tonight, but I'm sure it will pass. I'm also sure that when I get up in the morning the dust will be back :-(

I've read some other threads here where guys were talking about a unique kind of algae, but wouldn't the chlorine kill that, and wouldn't there be CC in the pool if that was the case?

Any help with this is greatly appreciated... i will try to get pictures of the "dust" tomorrow and post...

It's most likely just dust. I get it all the time and after a while you learn to live with regular vacuuming. Using a skimmer sock helps a little but the best thing is to get an automatic vacuum that you can let run a few hours a day.

Bama Rambler -

So this normal? Dust that is too fine to be caught in the sand filter? It seems like brushing gets rid of it as much as vacuuming...

I did pass the OCLT last night, and the water is crystal clear...

It's normal for me to have very fine dust and I bet in Ga it's normal for you too.

Brushing stirs it up and it gets suspended in the water for a little while but then it redeposits. Adding a cup of DE to your sand filter may also help, but it didn't help me enough to continue to do it.

Dave,

I'm going to shut the pump off tonight and see if this stuff comes back by morning. My Polaris 280 doesn't actually trap it in the filter bag, it just stirs it up so its suspended in the water (like when I brush it). What if I vacuum it to waste?

Thanks,

Vacuuming to waste helps for a little while but if it's dust, it comes back. I've actually thought about using a backwash bag once in a while to help trap it. I've even thought about adding a super fine micron filter to the discharge side of the sand filter just to trap the tiny particles. I've done neither yet of course. :hammer:

Dave,

Do you think trapping it at the returns would work? Although if you are saying that it comes back even after vacuuming to waste, then I guess it doesn't matter how/where you remove it :-( Do you think this stuf originates in the filter or in the pool?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.