Finally my DIY pool in Gonzales, Louisiana

I just saw your old thread talking about trucking in water vs water from your well. If you go that route I would try to find out the source of it (processed river water?) and get a copy of the test report on it. If it is municipal water tests should be on file with the local government. You may be better off going with your well.

Ike

Thanks everyone for the complements.

Ike,
I will be using my well pump to help fill as well. I just didn't want to have me well pump running for who knows how long to fill the pool. But between now and then I can pull a sample and bring it to work and have it tested.

Well it's beginning to look like the gunite crew has pushed me off for the regulars. So we go on the phone this morning and setup a shotcrete crew that should be here around noon tomorrow. Of course the weather is looking bad with this storm going across the nation and spinning tornados. Cousin helping me is a contractor by trade and says they are virtually the same in the end. They use different equipment to install. So it looks like we are switching to shotcrete. Should I worry about anything?

Todd

Day 9 and I am happy. After the bad weather that went across the nation the last few days. We had covered all the pool walls with visqueen to protect them and again outward from the walls 10 feet to keep the area around the pool from being a muddy mess from the rains we thought we would get but ended up not getting much to amount for anything.

The spray begins

We ended up going with Shotcrete. What are the watering requirements with this?? With Gunite I was told to water a few times a day for 3 weeks but yesterday after this was shot they said I only needed to water this a few times a day for two or three days.

Todd

Just wanted to capture a few notes here for others looking to also do their own build. Shotcrete was 32 yards and I did notice there was no waste as compared to gunite where they are constantly removing the rebound from the pool.

We are using Old St. Louis brick as our coping. Along with using it with in the decking and we are thinking about changing the front of the future pool house to brick to kinda tie it all in together.

Water line tile is Daltile Continental Slate Series(actually a Porcelain tile) color is Tuscan Blue 6x6 and Daltile 1x1 tile(black) for accent on the tanning ledge, bench and steps.

Is this real Old St. Louis brick or fake? I ask because while I don't have experience with Old St. Louis brick, I do have experience with real old Chicago brick, and it has a habit of flaking. This is so bad that little piles of flakes can build up on the walkway around the brick columns over time, and certainly not something I would want getting into my pool.

Ike

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Is this real Old St. Louis brick or fake? I ask because while I don't have experience with Old St. Louis brick, I do have experience with real old Chicago brick, and it has a habit of flaking. This is so bad that little piles of flakes can build up on the walkway around the brick columns over time, and certainly not something I would want getting into my pool.

Ike

Ike,

They are real old bricks!!! I was told if I were going to use them to ensure the brick I use didn't have layers thru them(bricks look flakey). The Old St. Louis does not. I've looked at about 10 pools in the area and all look good.

Before I get too ahead of myself I need alittle info. My Pentair 5G color change light will be connected to my Easytouch automation panel. While I don't currently have a remote so I can make changes from inside or where ever I have the remote. Question is do I need to run the light wires to a switch then to the panel or vice versa?? I don't want to have to go the the pool panel every time I want to put the light on or switch colors.

Before I get too ahead of myself I need alittle info. My Pentair 5G color change light will be connected to my Easytouch automation panel. While I don't currently have a remote so I can make changes from inside or where ever I have the remote. Question is do I need to run the light wires to a switch then to the panel or vice versa?? I don't want to have to go the the pool panel every time I want to put the light on or switch colors.

Check out the Autelis control for Pentair ET- http://www.autelis.com/pool-control-for-pentair-intellitouch-easytouch.html

Besides the lights, there's so much more you can control. Both from your home PC and your iPhone, iPad, or Android phone.

Sorry I didn't update earlier. A few days ago we had the water line tile and coping installed. For the coping we used Old St. Louis brick. Deck crew scheduled for this coming Monday and plaster crew is scheduled for next Friday. Moving right along.

I'm usually not a fan of brick coping but I'm really digging the pattern you went with!!

You should have lots of pics to share within the next week with all upcoming work!

Yeah have a lot of work coming up this week. As for the bricks we really got lucky with these two pallets of bricks. Not many culls at all. They were all very good looking bricks. Not all cracked up, chipped or busted bad. If you aren't familiar on where these bricks come from its old buildings and house foundations in St. Louis. Missouri. They usually burn the building down then tear down the brick walls. Palletize them and sell them to brick companies all over the place. To go along with the pattern around the pool we are installing brick expansion joints off each corner of the pool to the edge of the concrete slab. So that will be two joints per side. Going to try to match up to the bricks already there and continue the pattern all the way out. And also add one or two down the long length of the pool as well. We will have to see once they start forming it up.

Along with the brickwork we are also installing a 4x4 brick fire pit on the right hand side of the pool. Burn area will end up around 30x30 once the fire bricks are installed on the inside. Pictures sure to come

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.