Finally getting a pool

smanni

Oct 20, 2012
Wildwood Crest NJ
After years of "thinking" about it....and almost moving out of the area - we finally decided to keep the house here and add a pool/poolhouse.

We have it narrowed down to two pool builders. Both seem great - but we are leaning towards one. Still waiting n final numbers from each and Im sure well tweak each proposal.

We know we want:

L shaped Pool - 20 x 30 on the shallow end and 16 x 18 on the deep end.

Sun shelf (that does not encroach on the inner area of the pool) off of the long side of the shallow end

Salt water chlorination

2 multi color LEDS and a small one in the shelf

Quartz aggregate

About 1000 Sq ft of died and stamped concrete decking

A few questions- One PB uses Hayward and the other Pentair....Any real discernible difference or is it more Ford Vs Chevy?

We are getting a Heater. One recommended an LP heater and the other builder had something, albeit expensive, but creative. He wants to install a "hybrid" heating system. We are in PA. He wants to install an LP heater for quick heater and early/late season use when the air temps drop and a heat pump for regular usage throughout the season to keep operating costs down. Has anyone here ever done that? I know its about 4k more than just a LP heater alone.

We are adding an unfinished structure on the side of the pool (to be finished at a later date when the budget grows!) and that building will be 24 x 34. 12 x 24 will be garage type storage and the rest is intended to be a pool house. The entire building will have a 12 x 34 porch roof. We plan on putting a hot tub under this porch roof. One PB wants to recess the hot tub into a crypt.....the other said its not worth the expense. Thoughts?

The deep end is something that we really want. One PB has us concerned that he wont be able to get to 8'6" due to rock....the other one thinks it wont be easy, but doable.....Truthfully - if I cant get to the depth I want, I would just scrap the deep end altogether but it drives me nuts that there is no real way of knowing that upfront....

I love anything that makes maintenance easy. The Hayward PB recommended a system that automatically monitors PH and adjusts based on its readings by injecting the MA solution. Clearly I still need to monitor and test chemicals, but I love anything that reads and reacts without my intervention...especially since I travel a lot and that will make life easier for my wife and kids when Im not around. Are these types of systems reliable?

Since we will have the garage type storage - I was originally thinking to put all pool equipment inside that section of the pool house. Both PB said that it isnt necessary and that I should save the space for other things and put the pump/equipment outside. Again - I know that they are the expert but I have a difficult time getting my mind around how anything designed to live outdoors....wouldnt be better off indoors. I am a boat guy and Ive seen things designed to be outdoors in the sun and salt and after a while...UV and salt eventually get to everything and things start to fade, wear out, get brittle, etc. Im leaning towards taking their advice, but I dont love it. LOL. I really want to store this stuff inside. Any thoughts?

EDIT - I forgot to add. One PB recommended a DE filter and the other a cartridge. I like the ease of a cartridge. How different is filter capability? If a cartridge is 10 micron and DE is 2-3.....Im fine with 10.

Welcome to TFP! :lovetfp: You've come to the right place! I can't answer any of your questions but I'm sure someone will be along shortly to help.

We love pics so please post any pool designs and exiting yard pics. If you use a site like photobucket, you just copy and past the IMG code into your post. Pics really help us "see" what you are doing.

Our pool pump has failed preliminary due to being subjected to snowy winters for three years. I should have taken my pool closer's recommendation to remove it each winter since it is not inside. At a minimum, he recommends having it raised up off of the ground by 6" or so, covered with a roof of some type, or removed and stored. I will now be removing it, even though I may build a roof structure over it. You will get thoughts all over the map on this aspect.

You can go as deep as you want into rock for $$$$$. Ask folks in Austin how pools there get built. But they are also prepared for the rock and have the equipment and contracts already setup for that contingency (expectation there).

Taking care of hot tubs in vaults can be problematic. If you are ok with a standalone hot tub look, then don't worry about it. I wouldn't bother with a vault if we ever got one.

Natural gas is the cheapest if you want quick heat up ability, but sounds like you don't have it. So propane will do that, just more expensively. My neighbors who have propane almost never use it - they don't want to pay for it - no spa needs for them. I'd honestly be inclined to go one way or the other. Two systems means two potential points of failure going forward.

I'm in PA as well and we had to pay an extra $1k to bring in a hammer to get us from 6' to 6.5". He spent nearly an entire day getting that extra 1/2 ft. Any deeper would've been too expensive.

Lots to read about heat pumps on here. Not great for PA weather...unless you're only looking for a constant temp all summer long. Personally, I wanted to open the pool early and close it late so natural gas was our only option. The heat pump wouldn't be effective in the colder temps on either side of the season.

I had DE in my last pool and will be getting a cartridge this time around. In my opinion, DE is messy to deal with. I didn't have anywhere close to backwash it and always ended up having it lay in my yard. You need to store it in a dry place (mice would eat into my bags during the winter). Cartridge you just spray it off. I know others are happy with DE so that is just my experience.

I would love to have the equipment inside a poolhouse or shed. I plan to eventually cover my pad and will remove the pump during our harsh PA winters.

Good luck!

smanni,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all your pool questions... :shark:

I am a highly biased Pentair guy. I always say the other major brands are almost as good... But in truth, it is a Chevy vs. Ford type of thing.

It appears to me your pool will be in the 40K gallon range. Since it will be saltwater, keep in mind that your Saltwater Chlorine Generator (SWCG) needs to be rated for at least 1.5 to 2 times the size of your pool. SWCG's are rated by their output when set to 100% and run 24/7. You really don't want to be driving your "Chevy" at red line all the time.. :p I know Pentair makes a 60K gallon model, I'm not sure about Hayward.

I'm in Texas, so not too much worry about really cold winters, but my equipment is in a Pool Shed. That said, the equipment pad itself is surrounded by 18" deep 12" wide trench filled with pebbles. This allow somewhere for the water to go when cleaning the filter or pump basket. All the piping comes up through the pebbles rather than being encased in concrete making any future repairs easier.

I get dinged every time I say this, by another member who shall remain anonymous (pooldv), but I think DE filters make the water have a more "polished" look compared to Cartridge filters. I have a cartridge filter at my house and a couple of DE filters at rent houses, and find that the effort to clean them is about the same. DE is definitely a little messier, but you are not doing either in a coat and tie. Plan on getting wet either way.

Thanks for posting, and really looking forward to seeing your build come together.

Jim R.

Following up on the SWCG. That is a good reason to go with Pentair since Hayard's largest T-Cell is rated for 40K gallons. You will be fine in NE PA with a SWCG that is only 1.5x the size of your pool (but not less than that). In MD that also works fine. It is in the sunbelt that the 2x recommendation becomes more necessary. Pentair's replacement cells are more expensive because they contain more electronics (Hayward's electronics are in the control panel) but that's just a small aspect and not nearly as important as cell size/sufficiency.

If you already have a personal opinion about filter type preference, I would just go with that. It will save Jim and the semi-anonymous one from arguing. You can't go wrong with either type for your scenario.

Definitely like the idea that if the equipment is in a shed, to have a river rock border surrounding your pad of say 18" with a perforated drain line in it, to carry excess water away from the pad (and to have the pipes rise out of). If you go cartridge (don't know about DE) you will need be be carrying the dripping cartridges outside to hose off. Nothing a 5 gallon bucket can't contain for the walk.

We are in Florida so different needs here to a point but we chose a heat pump over propane due to cost of propane. The heat pump was more expensive initially but we didn't have to rent or purchase the tank, have it delivered or a hole dug to get in the ground (otherwise you have an ugly big tank on the side of your house). Everyone we know here with a a propane heated spa says the same thing about heating it...don't want to use it due to cost. We aren't using our heat pump recklessly but we put a cover on the spa and it's hot within an hour to two depending on temp outside. Kids get home from school at three and play in it for an hour before homework and dinner. Relaxes yet invigorates. Best decision besides the pool itself:)

I have been reading, obsessively, everything ever posted to this forum as I wait for a couple updated quotes and poolhouse options....Im nervous about coordination the prebuilt pool house parts and the plumbing back to my house...but Im sure Ill figure that out.

That being said - Aquabright/ecofinish seems to be a pretty interesting option. My kids are not the....easiest..on things. My friends are not the gentlest....and my dogs will end up in the pool. I really want a finish that will withstand the mayhem that is my family and my life...lol

I actually live very close to where the ecofinish headquarters. I went to high school right down the street from it (admittedly I never heard of it, but I looked it up on their website).

What are the current thoughts about this product and its usage in a new pool construction project?

Carlton Pools in your area says that over half of their new pools get AquaBright for the pool finish. It may be worth it for you to visit their facility (they share a building with EcoFinish) and see a couple local pools. There should be no shortage of them...

As for use in a new construction pool, I can't see any other type of surface outlasting the lifespan of AquaBright. Probably an even better advantage for your location is that there is no fear of a plaster surface cracking add drying out while being partially drained over the winter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Where in PA are you?

Very close to you! Im in Quakertown now - but I grew up in Southampton/Warminster where they are located.

- - - Updated - - -

Carlton Pools in your area says that over half of their new pools get AquaBright for the pool finish. It may be worth it for you to visit their facility (they share a building with EcoFinish) and see a couple local pools. There should be no shortage of them...

As for use in a new construction pool, I can't see any other type of surface outlasting the lifespan of AquaBright. Probably an even better advantage for your location is that there is no fear of a plaster surface cracking add drying out while being partially drained over the winter.

Im kind of trying to stay away from Carlton....

I have a really good friend..who has a friend that is a salesperson for Carlton (and I like the carlton guy a lot, just not Carlton) - so I do have someone to call, but I am trying to use one of the two local PB that I really like....

I wonder how hard it would be for one of them to be able to get this applied?

How is the long term durability and resistance to damage from.....rough people!

Following up on the SWCG. That is a good reason to go with Pentair since Hayard's largest T-Cell is rated for 40K gallons. You will be fine in NE PA with a SWCG that is only 1.5x the size of your pool (but not less than that). .

Thanks for the post - this alone points me more towards Pentair. Having a salt cell that is rated for 60K (Pentair) makes me feel better than the largest Hayward. Still not the final consideration - but points go into the Pentair column.

Thanks to a forum member - we are getting a third quote from another local PB. We did get a final quote on the pool house and we got the number exactly where we wanted. Now we are trying to make sure we cross every T and dot every I with the coordination of plumbing, water and electric for whichever PB we choose and the pool house construction team.All 3 PB are aware of the goal of the pool house and will work with what we are trying to get done. This project is really adding up.....We may need to get it back under control soon.

My wife and I discussed adding another 200 Sq ft of decking and 100 Sq ft of pool today.....and it may get out of hand!!!

I would suggest shrinking the pool sq ft instead of adding. Most usually end up wishing they hadnt gone so big. If you have a ton of people that will be in the pool a lot, or just want it thats fine too, but think about it long term. As for filter options, nothing is easier than Sand, and it still works exceptionally well as it always has. If it were me, and I had the easy option to house the pool equipment I would do it in a heartbeat in that climate.

I would suggest shrinking the pool sq ft instead of adding. Most usually end up wishing they hadnt gone so big. If you have a ton of people that will be in the pool a lot, or just want it thats fine too, but think about it long term. As for filter options, nothing is easier than Sand, and it still works exceptionally well as it always has. If it were me, and I had the easy option to house the pool equipment I would do it in a heartbeat in that climate.

Interesting...Ive read post after post on here and the overwhelming sentiment seemed to be " pretty much no one wished they went smaller....but several wished they went a little bigger". I certainly may have someone focused on the posts that were in line with what I wanted to find! LOL

Point is taken though.

I have a pretty large family. Between friends, family, kids friends - My wife and are are pretty sure that they pool will get used a lot and at times, have a pretty large amount of people (and dogs).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.