Finally getting a new heater

kris77

May 27, 2014
Clarksburg, WV
I've finally decided this year to bite the bullet and get a new heater for the pool. I'm going with a Raypak NG 200k BTU model with electronic ignition. There are 2 models i'm looking at and didn't really know the difference in the Low Nox version vs the regular version. Links below...

I also will need to put this under my deck. I know that's not the recommended place, but it's really the only place I have to put it. Any drawbacks other than venting? I can vent the heater out the side of the deck easily.

Get the low nox heater for the $35 extra cost.

Low NOx heaters normally have somewhat higher efficiencies and exhibit much lower NOx emissions.

Putting your heater under the deck - is there room to service it? Is there adequate air flow for intake? Is the deck combustible and does it meet local codes?

Deck is 6' tall where the heater will be. It's all pressure treated. I really don't want to put it under the deck, but I don't have much of a choice. I'll snap a pic and post it tomorrow.

You'd need to probably treat it as an indoor heater for installation purposes. I took some "heat" when I installed my heater under my deck but I have over 12' above it. And technically it is under a Gazebo, not a deck. I also purchased a CO detector and took readings everywhere I could think of around the heater and it never showed anything to worry about. Not all "under my deck" situations are the same.

1589282114467.png
1589282226179.png

If you haven't bought the heater yet make sure you look at the date when it was made. I beleive it's the first 4 numbers of the serial number. We just got a new Raypak and the contractor put in a heater made in Oct 2018. I feel that's pretty fishy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.