Finalizing plans for new owner build-any suggestions?

krats

Gold Supporter
Jan 14, 2018
SoCal
Here is our design and specs. The pool is about 17 x 34 including a bench all the way around. Any feedback is appreciated. Pool plan-flat.pdf.
Specific questions - skimmers - should we have more than one? Where should they be? Lights - is one enough? Depth suggestions for the bench around the pool? We are planning to finish with AquaBright. Does that change anything or is it just an added step at the end? Does the AB installer also do the plaster or is that two separate subs? We plan to put solar heating on the roof. The person doing our plans doesn't do plans for solar heating (we were just informed of this). Can we still plan for it during the build or do we just make that phase 2 of the project? The person doing the plans did the specs on the equipment. Would you change or add anything? We are removing a slope and adding a 5 foot retaining wall on the left side of the pool. Anything we should consider with that? Thanks so much for your help!

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    483.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    522.5 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Welcome to TFP! :wave: Apologies in advance, my computer won't let me open the link, so I may be missing some details.
Skimmers - Our pool is 16x40 and we have just one, but I've seen smaller poos with two as well. Builder dependent I suppose. Most important if you can make it work - wind direction. Take into account your prevailing winds and try to have the skimmer on that end. Or ... have a skimmer on each end just in case.
- Lights - depends on the type. I have 3 ea smaller LED lights along one side and it's great. Others opt for one larger LED light on the end.

I'll have to let others speak to the Aquabright, solar, and plaster process. Post back here if you don't see more replies soon. We have a few plaster experts that can help, but this time of year some members aren't online as much as in the summer, so we may have to tag them for assistance. Have a great day.

Reactions: krats
Did you give any consideration to having the pool equipment be outside of the gate, either to the left or right? It seems to be occupying prime deck space where it currently is. Regardless, make sure they don't bring the pipes up through concrete. They should come up through gravel or earth so that in case there is a problem, they can get below grade a bit to resolve more easily.

On lights, one light will light your size pool with the best positioning being on the short end opposite the steps. But as TS said, a three small lights on the long wall house side will make it more even, though possibly at more expense. I like two skimmers on most pools except really small ones, but one does the job. The less surface debris you have, leaves, dust, etc., the more satisfied you will likely be with just one skimmer. Our dogs swim frequently and are hairy beasts. I'm glad for two skimmers for that situation alone.

Reactions: krats
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.