Final stages completed

Roddy Scott

Apr 11, 2021
Santa Catarina, Brazil
As a complete beginner to owning a pool, our pool got it's final parts fitted today.
I wanted a 7M x 3.5M pool, my wife did not want to give up any of her garden so guess what size we ended up with, 6M x 2.5M!
OK, not huge but sufficient to cool off from the Brazilian heat and easier to maintain.
We contacted a few companies here in Santa Catarina and decided on IGUI for a supplier after checking up on previous installations by them. We gave them the contract to install the pool and hired a local contractor for the other works, the electrics and drainage work I did my self. The excavation and install went without a hitch but a change in weather hampered the surrounding construction. A break in the weather allowed it to progress and work proceeded reasonably well. Concreting, retaining walls and tiling done I was left with the additional work that required a pathway and the design of a suitable cascade as the ones I looked at were either crappy looking fibre glass or inox piping, neither of which I liked.
I opted for designing a cascade made from granite based on a video I saw on YouTube.
Cleaning the pool to a standard acceptable and balancing the chemistry wasn't a hardship as we opted for a non chlorine system from IGUI negating the use of chlorine and associated chemistry. The pool maintains a pH value of 7.6 and filtration is done with a fibre system instead of sand with filter bags than can be thrown in the washer.
Hopefully the pool will give us a lot of pleasure and I am open to comments in regards to the pictorial history of the build in the media section and my commentary here.

Attachments

• 20211018_182706.jpg
    20211018_182706.jpg
    422.8 KB · Views: 57
Reactions: Lanzz
Congratulations on your new pool. Welcome to TFP!

Tell me a little more on how you are sanitizing the water. Are you sensitive to chlorine?

an1vrsy and Texas Splash,
I am using an organic chemistry called SOLO, my wife is the one with the chlorine issue. Apart from the SOLO, algicide, pH balancer and alkalinity chemicals are all that are used.
I am no expert on chemistry for a pool although I worked with chemical systems for over 20 years in the PCB industry as an equipment installer so I am hoping that it works out with this method. Once I got the chemistry balanced it has been quite stable over the last few weeks, it was the clearing of the pool water that was a PIA, a load of ammonium sulphate and filter cleaning eventually got it right.

Hello Dan,

as far as I can work out with my limited Portuguese it is an organic based disinfectant that uses a form of guanidine.
Wikipedia has this to say - A nitrogenous form of carbonic acid. Guanidine can be obtained from natural sources, being first isolated by Adolph Strecker via the degradation of guanine.[6] It was first synthesized in 1861 by the oxidative degradation of an aromatic natural product, guanine, isolated from Peruvian guano.[7].

So basically it is an organic based liquid. One thing I noticed is when the pool got its shock treatment at the start there was a slime in the filter bag, whether that was due to the SOLO or the addition of aluminium sulphate for particle removal, I don't know but now the water is almost crystal clear and just needs recycling filtration to get bright clear.

Attachments

• 20211020_084922.jpg
    20211020_084922.jpg
    405.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 20211020_084934.jpg
    20211020_084934.jpg
    448.5 KB · Views: 12
Roddy, because you are using a product not typically seen used here on the forum, and because your wife seems to have a sensitivity to chlorine, I'm going to ask one of our experts @Donldson to provide some input. We have had thousands of pool owners state concerns for chlorine sensitivity, but later learn there were other issues contributing to the issue. At the same time, supply choices may be limited in your area, but let's see what our expert has to say about your water treatment and things to be aware of later. Have a nice day.

So basically it is an organic based liquid.
Got it's name from originally being derived from bird guano. Don't fall in to the "it's organic so it's good" trap.

I see what they're going with as far as some sanitizing properties, but I seriously doubt it would qualify as sanitary by US standards. Certainly not by TFP standards. Sounds like the water is being kept clear by algaecides and extreme mechanical filtration, but that is all aesthetic and does nothing to make the water safer. I wouldn't use it, I wouldn't swim in a pool using it, and I wouldn't recommend it.

It looks like its main mechanism is denaturing proteins, which I don't think qualifies as sanitizing? That's a chemical change to the protein, but it doesn't necessarily *destroy* them. Sometimes it's even reversible. They're still big chunks of hydrocarbons floating around the pool.

Reactions: Donldson
Going by the replies in regards to the SOLO product I think I will change the system to a chlorine based one. My wife is not chlorine sensitive but complains the smell of it. If it is a case of smell versus health then she had better get used to it!

Thanks for the replies and inputs, guys.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Great! A properly sanitized outdoor pool using chlorine has no smell. Just follow the FC/CYA chart and you won‘t have that chloromines smell which people associate as a chlorine smell.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.