Filtration's effect on chlorine demand?

sbcpool

Mar 10, 2015
Upland, CA
I installed a new Intelliflo a couple of weeks ago. Coming from a single-speed power hog it's been relatively nice so far. I am taking advantage of the increased efficiency by doing low flow for long periods.

The other day I noticed a change in my pool - I caught a whiff of chlorine while walking by. I got out the test kit and my FC was 10.4!!! Still within SLAM levels, but WAY higher than normal. I haven't changed chlorine brands or dosing. My only theory is that the increased filtration from longer pump run times has dramatically decreased chlorine demand. I am now only losing about 10% per day where I was losing 30 - 33% per day with CYA ~60.

Is my hypothesis plausible, or could it be something else?

SWG is gone for about 3 weeks now. Even at FC 10 I still see the very slightest, barely detectable yellow on the shaded walls after a couple of weeks. You can't see it when it's on the wall, but when I brush I can see a very faint (barely perceptible) yellow cloud rise in the wake of the brush.

That's it. We had a few days of heavy smoke before the last cold front and our pool water temp dropped like that. I put the cover on.

If I average the 5-minute UV index for all hours that sunlight is on the pool it seems that my pool sees about 1% FC loss for each unit of UV index/hour. In other words, if a day sees 30 UV index hours my pool loses about 30% FC. If it's 10 my pool loses about 10% FC.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.