filtering at night

Oceansol

May 26, 2015
Oceanside, California
Here in San Diego our utility is switching us over to a Time Of Use (TOU) plan. Using electricity (and I suppose natural gas) after 9pm and before 6am is the the cheapest time, so I'm wondering if there are any downsides to running my pump mostly at night and before 6am. I will still run it between 10am and 2pm (also cheapest) for my solar, which needs higher speeds to pump the water up onto the roof (which also runs my cleaner faster too), although I don't need to run it at all during the day (for solar) during the winter months.

Thoughts?

No problem. Many TFP’ers run at night. Sounds like a good way to save some electricity. Just make sure your solar doesn’t switch on at night or else you’ll get cooling instead of heating :eek:

so I'm wondering if there are any downsides to running my pump mostly at night and before 6am.
I'm not seeing a problem there either. Not sure if it's just my imagination ....... perhaps the only downside "might" be daily surface debris sitting on the water's surface longer during the day and perhaps sinking. I only say that because it always seems like nighttime is more calm, but with daylight comes the stronger prevailing wings blowing junk around. Maybe it's just in my head. Regardless, if I were in your shoes I'd do the same thing.

What size is your SWCG? More detail in your signature would be great. If large enough, you might be able to get by with only running the pump from 10am to 2pm most of the time.

I run primarily at night due to a TOU plan. I time my testing in the late afternoon and skim the water surface. If its bad enough, I'll run my pump for a bit to clear the surface. The stuff that sinks gets picked up by the suction cleaner overnight while the pump is running. I run four hours on low speed and two hours on high for the cleaner. I'm on month 11 of my relative period and, between the TOU plan and running at night, I've saved over $350 this year.

Reactions: Texas Splash
I run primarily at night due to a TOU plan. I time my testing in the late afternoon and skim the water surface. If its bad enough, I'll run my pump for a bit to clear the surface. The stuff that sinks gets picked up by the suction cleaner overnight while the pump is running. I run four hours on low speed and two hours on high for the cleaner. I'm on month 11 of my relative period and, between the TOU plan and running at night, I've saved over $350 this year.
Wow! That's great to hear. I hope I can save some money too!

With the VS pump and SWG you should be able to test run several scenarios to determine your current kW/hr use. Given those numbers, you can reset your TOU to take advantage of the lower $$ on electricity. The VS pump is the biggest savings you can get for pool equipment.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.