“Filter” setting vs “Recirculate/Circulate” setting question! (Sand filter)

thefloatqueen

Bronze Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
Columbus, Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
As seen in my signature, I have a 16” Intex sand filter pump. OBVIOUSLY I know the difference between the words filter and recirculate (one goes through the filter media, other does not), but can anyone give me some examples of situations when I would use the recirculate cycle instead of “filter”? I always have it on the filter setting when the pump is running unless I am backwashing. I looked through my filter pump’s owner manual and all it tells me is what it does but not when it is appropriate to use it. Thanks in advance!!

Recirculate is when you don't want the water to filter. The water pumps, but no filtration.

No one ever used that. lol

Well I know that haha! I just didn’t know if there is time when you would recirculate the water without going through the sand media. I thought maybe after adding certain chemicals or something? LOL. I’ve never experimented but asked this out of pure curiosity. Thank you for your answer. ;)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: frogabog
Use RECIRCULATE if you have a bad algae problem that is rapidly clogging the filter so you constantly need to backwash. Do the initial SLAM Process on RECIRCULATE until you kill much of the algae. Then filter out the dead algae without the algae continuously multiplying as you try and filter.

Or if you use Floc (that we don’t recommend doing) and intend to vacuum it to waste when it settles to the bottom of the pool. Run the filter in RECIRCULATE to not clog the filter with Floc or Clarifier.

Recirculate can be used when the filter is in need of repair - if you can't filter the water, at least you can circulate it

Last edited:
Use RECIRCULATE if you have a bad algae problem that is rapidly clogging the filter so you constantly need to backwash. Do the initial SLAM Process on RECIRCULATE until you kill much of the algae. Then filter out the dead algae without the algae continuously multiplying as you try and filter.

Or if you use Floc (that we don’t recommend doing) and intend to vacuum it to waste when it settles to the bottom of the pool. Run the filter in RECIRCULATE to not clog the filter with Floc or Clarifier.

Recirculate can be used when the filter is in need of repair - if you can't filter the water, at least you can circulate it

Thank you for explaining that! Makes perfect sense now.

Reactions: thefloatqueen

Learn something new every day! Thank you so much for letting me know all of this. Great info!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.