Filter Replacement recommendation

Jun 5, 2016
Santa Ana
I am new to pool maintenance so any help will be appreciated.

When the pump on my pool runs, water drips into the backwash drain. I assume this is an issue with the filter? Could it be anything else and if so, how can I fix it?

The filter is a purex SMBW 2060 - old steel model which up until recently has been working.

1. I assume the filter is not worth repairing and is probably best to buy a new one?
2. Can anyone suggest/recommend a replacement? One that will be simplest/easiest to install (i.e. the one which has connection points closest to my existing filter)?
3. Best online company to purchase the filter from?
4. Multi-port or push-pull valve?

Thank you very much

Regards

It may be fixable by replacing the spider gasket. You can find some good youtube videos with "spider gasket" because it's a common issue in pool maintenance.

I can't get mine to entirely never leak (around a drop per minute), so I put a valve on my backwash line, and have to remember to open it before backwash, and close it after.

Look at your current configuration and pictures online and go with one that has inlets and outlets in similar locations. Otherwise it's not too hard to change the pipe. I won't comment much on brands over there.

I like the convenience of multi-port and don't worry about the extra head loss because my variable speed pump runs on low and medium speed.

In terms of efficiency, this is the go-to resource here: Hydraulics 101 - Have you lost your head? (filters are about five clicks down)

Lots of people here use inyopools, sunplay and amazon

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.