Filter pump, should water be flowing?

Millergirl

Oct 19, 2019
Texas
Just filled the pool and the pool guy started the equipment yesterday. While he was here I looked at the filter pump and there was water swirling around. Now, 24 hours later, with the pump running, I noticed there's no water in it. There is some debris. Should I be concerned? It says "Do not run dry." I haven't had 'pool school' yet so clueless! Help!
WELL NEVERMIND! There is water flowing in there, it's just so clean I couldn't see it! I shut off the pump and was immediately able to see the water swirl around. I'll be glad when I'm no longer a newbie!!!

IMG_7092.JPGIMG_7092.JPG

Last edited:
MG,

Is it empty or just full with no air bubbles at the top... You should easily be able to tell by looking at the pump when it first starts up.

I can't tell just from that one pic..

Also.. When the pump is running, like in your pic, can you feel water flowing back to your pool???

Thanks,

Jim R.

MG, while you let the pump cool off, let's check a few basic things:
- Water level in pool high enough? It should be up to the middle of the poolside skimmer or slightly higher.
- The flap (weir door) at that poolside skimmer should move freely with the water as it enters the skimmer. Make sure it's not stuck closed.
- Any 3-way valves before the pump (that's your suction side) should be open. If you're not sure or can't read the handles, the pics may helps.
- Under the clear lid to the pump basket, there is a rubber o-ring. It should have pool silicone lube on it (NOT petroleum jelly).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.