Filter, Pump, Plumbing Review.

So the PB was going over ‘pool school’ with me back when. He was trying explaining how to dial in the pump/SWG runtime. Lots of math because 40% of 18 is equal 60% of 12. He offhandedly mentioned ‘or just leave the dang pump on low all the time and only touch the SWG a couple times a year’.

*Record scratch*

Wait. Back up. Lazy guy here who went with salt for *less* to do. Leave the pump on for $20 a month instead of $10-$15 and it will be easier ? Sign ME up !!!

You are already running 24/7, so now you will be producing 24/7 too, unlike the 4 hours of the Stenner pump. Dial that bad boy into the top end of target and it will no longer matter *what* happens, *when*.

• Love
Reactions: PoolStored
You are already running 24/7, so now you will be producing 24/7 too, unlike the 4 hours of the Stenner pump. Dial that bad boy into the top end of target and it will no longer matter *what* happens, *when*.
We'll see, color me skeptical, but it will be fun to put in and see what happens. Side question, when I go get salt in bags, do you just dump them in and swirl? Will the salt pellets sitting on the vinyl damage them?

Side question, when I go get salt in bags, do you just dump them in and swirl? Will the salt pellets sitting on the vinyl damage them?
Dump them in the shallow end. They will be 60% gone right off the bat. Come back and brush 20 mins later. To get most of what’s left. Or have the kids swim it up. Safe and harmless for everything except the SWG. You don’t want salt sludge going though the on unit. Make sure it’s off.
We'll see, color me skeptical, but it will be fun to put in and see what happens
You seem like an overly efficient dude. (In a good way). You’re gonna love it, it’s right up your alley. Is it needed ? No. Is it darn sure nice to be running at peak efficiency around the clock ? You betcha. Lol.

Get water softener salt from HD / Lowe’s. It’s by the hot water heaters at both stores and is $5 a bag instead of $8. There should be plenty in the aisle this time of year. Make sure the bag says 100% and/or pure. Some of them have traces of iron.

And don’t forget to test your baseline salt. It’s pretty surprising to most, how much they already have. (y)

Get water softener salt from HD / Lowe’s. It’s by the hot water heaters at both stores and is $5 a bag instead of $8. There should be plenty in the aisle this time of year. Make sure the bag says 100% and/or pure. Some of them have traces of iron.

And don’t forget to test your baseline salt. It’s pretty surprising to most, how much they already have. (y)
Replacing liner in Oct (assuming delivery) so will be a full refill. Is there typically salt in municipal water?

Did order the salt test kit, will test before I drain, just to see the current salt level for comparison.

Reactions: Newdude
Replacing liner in Oct (assuming delivery) so will be a full refill. Is there typically salt in municipal water
Usually not much. But there can be a bunch in your balancing chems. Somebody a month or so ago was at 600 after refilling and balancing.

low in the grand scheme of things but plenty high to make you overshoot the target. Lol.

Sooo, @Saturn94 sent me a spent cart, starting on the plumbing re-build while the real SWG is on the way.

Not stupid confident I'm going to like the SWG, and DW raised her eyebrows when I said salt pool (I know I already have a salt pool...I LEARNED MY LESSON...no derision).

Anyway, thinking I'm going to include a 1/2" tee, after SWG, so I can either use my stenner for LC if I don't like the SWG, or for MA if I do.

Do I need a check valve between the SWG and the Stenner injection Tee? I already have a check valve that I as going to put after the heater. Should I just move it to after the SWG?

Does the check valve *HAVE* to be corrosion resistant? This is the check valve I have: Check Valve

Do I need a check valve between the SWG and the Stenner injection Tee? I already have a check valve that I as going to put after the heater. Should I just move it to after the SWG?

Does the check valve *HAVE* to be corrosion resistant? This is the check valve I have: Check Valve
Sorry I’m not too great with check valves so hang tight for confirmation/ denial. :ROFLMAO:

I would say you need a robust CV before the stenner tank in case you go to MA. A few SWG manufacturers still want one between the heater and SWG but I think those are being overly cautious. Mine didn’t have one and it was fine. They all do the exact same thing so I don’t see how model ABC needs one and LMNOP doesn’t.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
@Newdude Replaced the entire plumbing! In bound to MPV and out from heater. Before and after. All pentair never lube, bypass on heater, check valve on heater, salt dummy (circupool cell and controller in the garage until spring), flow switch, and two injection Tees for Stenner chlorine and MA if I want in future!

No leaks! Water on floor was from taking basket and cleaning, sucked some leaves.

time to jump in and catch me some leaves!
F8485F65-C3C6-4D6F-A1A3-8C2AF548943B.jpegFC07EE5F-E282-4749-993C-EA3D4F06892B.jpeg77371A73-7946-40AB-9E15-9BAEA4C6E679.jpeg62A18A6A-5CF1-4FC4-AF3E-3A57A62CFB07.jpeg

Attachments

• E55691C9-CB83-4891-B7D1-AAB352483668.jpeg
    E55691C9-CB83-4891-B7D1-AAB352483668.jpeg
    412.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 367D6BA0-10B0-42B7-8AF9-933AD019AC13.jpeg
    367D6BA0-10B0-42B7-8AF9-933AD019AC13.jpeg
    424.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Your equipment works great. Your methods work great. Don’t tempt fate. She is not a *kind lady*, they say. :ROFLMAO:
I'm now glad I didn't listen to you WRT converting to SWCG. Given the price of Chlorine, I think I made the right decision. Now wait 2 months until I have an issue with the SWCG and decide to switch back to LC. :ROFLMAO: At least I plumbed in a T for the stenner pump so I can use it if necessary for CL or MA!

I'm now glad I didn't listen to you WRT converting to SWCG
At the time i was being devil's advocate. You had a great setup and it worked well for you. That said, i secured my own SWG for the upcoming build before i even signed the contract. I'm that big of a fan of them. They still haven't dug yet a year later but thats ok, i have my SWG if they show up tomorrow.

We both lucked out with last years prices too. What was $1500 then is $1800 now. (y)

• Love
Reactions: PoolStored
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.