Filter pressure jumps 10 psi in 1 hour

chall77

May 18, 2024
Laurel Maryland
New pool owner here and have been having one problem after another with my filter. Background - bought a house with a pool that was covered but otherwise neglected for 3 years. Finally have cleared most of the junk out (manually) and hoping the filter can do the rest. My issue is that every time I backwash, the pressure jumps 10 psi in roughly 40 minutes to 1 hour. I'm obviously doing something wrong , or my pool is much much dirtier than I thought. Maybe someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong? My backwash process is as follows

- (after priming pump and clearing out skimmers) I turned it to backwash and let it run for about 2.5 minutes which is how long it takes for the nasty Crud coming out and then going back to clear
- next turned to rinse for another 1 minute
- repeated the previous steps several times with each backwash & rinse a little shorter..
- added about 5 pounds DE to the skimmer with filter running (I have a 48 sq. ft. DE Pool Filter)

The filter starts at 10 psi and then in about 40 minutes to an hour its at 20 psi , at which point I have shut it off.. as I read one should shut it off when its gets to 10 psi over starting pressure. I should have also mentioned I popped open the filter and hosed everything down a week and half ago. Have done 5 backwashes since.. all with similar results. Please help!