Filter Plumbing hookup problem

I bought new filter from a private seller so it will be hard to return. They said the bought from dealer. It appears to be new tank and other parts are in pristine condition. Price was 1/3 of what you pay from dealer and I am trying to make work.

I can not use fittings from old tank on new one as they leaked where the go thru tank.

I did finally find at hardware store some connectors that will screw onto female threads. To use them I also found a black pipe adapter (ABS) that will allow me to fit them to existing piping. Will this work?

I did finally find at hardware store some connectors that will screw onto female threads. To use them I also found a black pipe adapter (ABS) that will allow me to fit them to existing piping. Will this work?
Really not the right solution.

There's no way for us to tell if will work.

Ask the seller to send the correct parts.

This is a part that only jandy manufactures, the best place you will be able to purchase this part is through a retail supplier that can obtain or sell jandy related parts, a local pool supply store is where you need to go.

As I stated in my previous post "You are missing a part called a tail piece" without this piece you cannot connect the filter to the plumbing, there is a half union kit available consisting of 3 parts 1) the big bulkhead nut 2) the tail piece that glues to the end of the pvc pipe 3) the o ring that fits on the end of the tail piece.

There are no other options, or quick fixes.

Unless they were leaking from a crack, you should be able to get the old fittings sealed on the new tank with new gaskets which should have come with the new tank.

I found the pieces that glue to the end of the pipe. So I compared everything between the old and new filter and the main difference is the size of the inlet/outlet unions and the . (See attached photos) and a large size glue piece and screw on pieces. My filter is over 15 years so Jandy must have changed the design along the way. The part of unions that go inside the tank are the same in diameter but not length and thus the old ones will not fit through the new tank holes far enough to hook up to the inside plumbing pieces. As for the outside portion of the unions both the old and new have the same inside diameter hole but the outside measures a quarter inch large on the new one. I think this explains why the new glue pieces and screw on connectors are larger in size than the old ones. I think Jandy had a problem with tank cracks around the tank holes and changed these parts and tank thickness to fix it. In fact that problem is the reason I decided to replace the filter. BTW if I order a replacement parts set it will not work because of these differences. So that still leaves me with the problem that theses new pieces will not properly connect to the existing plumbing as is. So I will need to modify the plumbing. I plan on using a 3 " PVC going from these fixtures and hopefully find a PVC adapter/reducer that will allow me to then connect to the rest of my pool 2" plumbing. If this does not work I will have to have a major replumbing job done by someone else as it is beyond my skill set.

Attachments

• PXL_20210411_202409738.jpg
    PXL_20210411_202409738.jpg
    415.1 KB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20210411_202357551.jpg
    PXL_20210411_202357551.jpg
    661.1 KB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20210411_201138529.jpg
    PXL_20210411_201138529.jpg
    600.4 KB · Views: 38
  • PXL_20210411_200709030.jpg
    PXL_20210411_200709030.jpg
    590.2 KB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20210411_200329140.jpg
    PXL_20210411_200329140.jpg
    557.4 KB · Views: 8
pxl_20210411_201138529-jpg.322047

These look like the right parts.

Do they fit the new filter?

3" to 2" is easy.

Yes they do fit the new filter union threads. Since I need to get off the old tail pipe from the plumbing and install theses new ones. I will need to extend the plumbing piping out to add add a short piece of 2.5 inch PVC to put filter further out on pad and away from other equipment. Will need to purchase 2 PVC feed thru adapters to do this. Plan to go get the adapters now and install a little later when it could down here. Will let you know results when done.

Reactions: JamesW
So I figured out how to adapt and connect the new filter to the plumbing and completed the installation. As it was late afternoon when I was done and the glued connectors did not have the required curing time recommended by the glue manufacturer I was not able to turn on the system and do a pressure check. I will do so in the morning. I know I need to add water to the pump bucket before turning on but should I also fill the filter tank half way?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes and no. Found all of the parts that are supposed to be included when purchasing a new Jandy filter however since Jandy changed the design of the hookup pieces I had to be two adapters to convert my 2.25" existing plumbing to work with larger tail pieces.

Yes but it was the only way I could easily hook up filter to the existing plumbing. (On older Jandy filter the drain was across from the outlets). The cap will screw off enough to let water flow out of it. Do you recommend that I rotate the drain to other side and if so do you have any recommendations on how to do so without a major re-plumb.

As long as you can drain the water, it should be fine.

Once the water is drained, the filter will be light enough so that you can disconnect the unions from the plumbing if you want to shift the filter away from the wall and remove the cap completely.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.