Filter not filtering

NeoshoPool

Jun 10, 2019
Neosho, WI
So it seems like every time we vacuum pool is instantly dirty after it settles. New sand last year, vacuuming was fine/clear pool. This year dirty bottom, chemical balance perfect. Looks like I can actually see the dirt shoot out of the return while vacuuming. Tried putting sock over return, but was inconclusive. dumped all the sand and inspected the lateral and all looks good, removed the diverted assy and that all looks good. I don’t get it. Did some one clock the diverter assy. on me over winter? It’s Hayward model, filter setting is pointing towards the pressure gauge. What about the lateral pipe to diverter connection?

Attachments

• 55660D61-BE2E-491D-AD86-6BE265FE3155.jpeg
    55660D61-BE2E-491D-AD86-6BE265FE3155.jpeg
    463.6 KB · Views: 5
So it seems like every time we vacuum pool is instantly dirty after it settles. New sand last year, vacuuming was fine/clear pool. This year dirty bottom, chemical balance perfect. Looks like I can actually see the dirt shoot out of the return while vacuuming. Tried putting sock over return, but was inconclusive. dumped all the sand and inspected the lateral and all looks good, removed the diverted assy and that all looks good. I don’t get it. Did some one clock the diverter assy. on me over winter? It’s Hayward model, filter setting is pointing towards the pressure gauge. What about the lateral pipe to diverter connection?

Interesting that what you tried to collect from the return jet was inconclusive. If it were sand I would think you would know it. If it's finer, there's a concern for algae even if your numbers seem to be good. Speaking of numbers, can you post a full set please? In this case that's the best place for us to begin.

I’m a newb, jumped the gun a little on the post. Most likely Algee from my low FC after toe auto CL install. My TA is 100, and PH rock solid at 7.4. Going to add 2lbs of shock tonight, but bad thing is I just vacuumed on filter so all the Algee will resettle. Should I wait a day before shocking and vacuum on waste instead? Or more important to just get the shock in there? I’m using K2006 test kit.

Algae will continue to blow back through the filter when overwhelmed. You'll need to completely kill it using the SLAM Process. But you also need a TF-100 (link below) or Taylor K-2006C test kit to do so. That's very important.
ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Reactions: Mdragger88
Day 4 update:
Day 1- Shocked to 60ppm after sunset, added clarifier
DAY 2- Vacuum, brush, backwash, FC 30ppm
DAY 3- Vacuum/brush, FC 22ppm
Day 4- Vacuum/backwash FC??? ran out of 0871(Day 1 used 120 drops!!) Have 10-250ppm test strips on order plus refill of 871.
Pool is looking good, thanks for the help.

Question, do you need to always adjust the dial on a Hayward Auto Chlorinator based on how full the canister is(ie...does it put out more when full vs 1/4 full? Or do people set it on the low side and then add liquid chlorine as needed?

Attachments

• BB0069FC-1DF6-4D6C-910A-81BF24C2320C.jpeg
    BB0069FC-1DF6-4D6C-910A-81BF24C2320C.jpeg
    435.9 KB · Views: 4

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That's all? Because the part about the FC/CYA Levels would probably be important. It sure isn't telling you to raise your FC to 60 when your CYA is 50.

Definitely no mention of clarifier either. And certainly no mention of test strips, throw those worthless things away as soon as they arrive.

That's all? Because the part about the FC/CYA Levels would probably be important. It sure isn't telling you to raise your FC to 60 when your CYA is 50.

Definitely no mention of clarifier either. And certainly no mention of test strips, throw those worthless things away as soon as they arrive.
I did mention clarifier on day 1. I didn’t know about that chart. Thanks for sharing. My first pool (got aug 19’).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.