Filter media- what kind? how much?

D&GNewbies

Jun 25, 2020
Iowa
Hi all,
With our pool, regardless of where we get it at, it would be a Hayward s180t 18" sand filter/1.5HP pump. IF we go 27ft, it would be the Hayward s210t 20" sand filter/1.5HP pump.
Are those filters the right size? Should we go bigger?
What is the best filter media? I read good things about the filter glass or adding DE to the sand. Has anyone used ZeoSand or the filter balls?
And how much would I need to put in the filter?
Sorry for all the questions, just trying to research, and gain as much knowledge as possible to make sure I am doing things right.

The bigger the filter the longer between times it needs to be cleaned.

A sand filter uses, sand. The other stuff is all magic that at best, works like sand.

A 1 hp single speed pump is fine for that size pool. I would suggest a 20" or even a 24" sand filter. They are filled about 2/3 of the way (you'll get directions) and the finest thing you can put in there that will last you for the rest of your life and give you fewest problems and is better than ANYTHING else.....TA DA! SAND!

Reactions: Wobblerlorri
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.