Filter Leaks! Help!

Oct 7, 2014
Braintree, MA
Hey guys just started opening my above ground pool today.

I've got a pretty furious leak at the connector hose that's going to the top of my sand filter.

I took a video of the leak to help. Any ideas what to do here? I've re-tightened, re-adjusted, heated, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5o3MZH4WP4

To make matters even more fun, i've got a leak coming from my skimmer. Looks like a hairline crack. Picture below. Can i just repair this somehow?

https://ibb.co/djwJqo

The hose looks like it may be polyethylene, in which case the clamp probably won't work. You could always try replacing the clamp (they do get stripped) and try softening the hose with a blow dryer or boiling water, or wrapping towels soaked in boiling water around it.

The skimmer isn't under any great pressure besides the weight of the water, so some epoxy may work. Rezolin has pretty good reviews. I've never used it personally, though.

Unless those cracks are leaking you can dauber over those with solvent cement glue on the outside. Use a clear or purple primer to soften material and then apply a heavy body glue over crack. You need to identify the skimmer material as either PVC or ABS. You can Identify the MFG on the lid. If the crack goes all the way through and it is leaking then you will need an underwater epoxy for the repair on the inside of the skimmer well.

Did the skimmer have water in it over the winter? It looks like there may be another crack to the right of the crack on the bottom. You can epoxy the crack, but my concern is that the weight of the water and the vibration of the pool is going to cause the crack to continue to grow. Also check the end of the pipe coming out of the valve to make sure there are not any cracks where the hose is connected.

The hose looks like it may be polyethylene, in which case the clamp probably won't work. You could always try replacing the clamp (they do get stripped) and try softening the hose with a blow dryer or boiling water, or wrapping towels soaked in boiling water around it.

The skimmer isn't under any great pressure besides the weight of the water, so some epoxy may work. Rezolin has pretty good reviews. I've never used it personally, though.

Hmm, ok so i guess, i can just forget about the clamp then--no need for it?

Is there any sort of sealant that might work in this case?

I'll give the blow dryer a shot. Thanks!

Hmm, ok so i guess, i can just forget about the clamp then--no need for it?

Is there any sort of sealant that might work in this case?

I'll give the blow dryer a shot. Thanks!
If it is polyethylene, they use a different type of end fitting than a rubber hose. It does need some sort of clamp, though. Nothing really sticks to polyethylene, so no glue will last. It's the same stuff drip irrigation hose is made from, and plastic cutting boards, and even ziplock bags.

If the hose is rubber or vinyl, then the clamp has to be there.

A new clamp is maybe a buck and a half at an auto parts store. Give a new clamps and some heat a chance.

Ok so a little heat from a hair dryer did the trick on that connection to my filter! Still working on skimmer but now have another few leaks coming from connector linking my pump to the skimmer—see below (I marked in red where it is leaking)
3_D0224_E9_729_C_4_C6_C_922_D_239_E6583_F73_E.jpg

Any ideas? Thanks!
If the left end isn't the hose and clamp, then you need a few more wraps of tape of the threads. To the right, it may need a new O-ring between the halves of the union.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.