Filter Deep clean during SLAM

jbubpool

Jun 17, 2020
Oklahoma City
I'm about 2 days into my SLAM process (this water is stubbornly cloudy like so many others I'm reading). I have a few questions:
  1. It seems like it'll be okay to put more water in my pool as long as I get back up to SLAM level quickly. Is this correct? I'm backwashing daily, and am thinking about vacuuming to waste since I had previously used flocculant to try to clear the water.
  2. Is it possible to do a filter deep clean during this process? I'm starting to think I have gunky sand since nothing seems to be working yet. Or should I just continue to wait it out?
I've owned this pool for 4 years now and have never had this much issues with algae or cloudiness. Usually I can get it up to cloudy, put some clarifier in and vacuum it all nicely within a few days for a clear pool. Not this season. Any help is welcome.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum :wave:

Yes, you can deep clean your filter during a SLAM.

Just keep in mind that you are doing a LOT of things at once and there is no leeway for shortcuts or work-arounds for the SLAM.

TFP does not suggest using clarifier or floc.......it often does more harm than good.

Reactions: jbubpool
Welcome to the forum :wave:

Yes, you can deep clean your filter during a SLAM.

Just keep in mind that you are doing a LOT of things at once and there is no leeway for shortcuts or work-arounds for the SLAM.

TFP does not suggest using clarifier or floc.......it often does more harm than good.
Thanks for the welcome.

The floc/clarifier was before I really found TFP. I had been following the local pool store guidance.

Would it be right to say that if I put the multi-valve on "Closed" I can take the top off the filter without water gushing through?
I'm almost feeling that I'll have to drain down most of the water anyway to make any headway this year. I probably threw too much at it in a short time before reading more TFP threads. :poop: Thanks for your help and reply.

I do not have an ABG but I'll bet you are right about positioning the multiport to closed. In fact, it seems with the pump off, you could switch between "filter" and "closed" to sort of help rinse and flush the sand as you clean it. (and lower your pool level by doing so)

I do not have an ABG but I'll bet you are right about positioning the multiport to closed. In fact, it seems with the pump off, you could switch between "filter" and "closed" to sort of help rinse and flush the sand as you clean it. (and lower your pool level by doing so)

Exactly my thought. I'll hold off a while to see how the SLAM goes. I think I've just been doing way too much too quickly. Time to stick with a method and follow through.

I think I need some more guidance if possible. I'm about 5 days into SLAM. Chemistry is good:

FC: 20
CC: 0
CYA: 35

I've not been loosing chlorine over-night, but the pool is still pretty darn cloudy. It's not the same green that I kicked up after first vacuum, but It's murky. I've skimmed, vacuumed (to waste since I had previously used some floc), brushed every day but one (we had some CRAZY storms open up a deluge). Should I see progress in the clarity with SLAM?

Suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_1864.jpg
    IMG_1864.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 13
Update from me! Finally seeing progress. My filter is probably past due for a clean, so I tried that. Learned: multi-port on this filter on "Closed" doesn't prevent all water from coming back in.

So I've been adding DE (only about 1 cup at a time) to super charge the filter a bit. Since the backwash pushes all this out, I re-add some. Thankfully the 25lb box will go a LOOOOOONG way.
My partner and I can see the pool floor this morning.

After the season is over and the pool is drained, I plan on a DEEP clean.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.