Filter cycles with one 2-speed pump

Elraj79

Mar 11, 2024
Norway
Hi. I bought a 850 liter/220 gallon 3-seat spa with one 2-speed pump.
It is driven by Balboa, i have programmed two filter cycles, 4/3 hours.
It's in standard mode, this is reccomended here in Norway, atleast the most of the year.

Since it has one 2-speed pump, i suppose it always filter the water when running on low speed, as when it's heating up, -so during winter/cold weather i suppose the water is beeing filtered much more than the set filter cycles.

I am considering to decrease the filtercycles during the winter/cold period, but wanted to ask in this forum if anyone has opininons around this, if i am thinking right about this? -maybe someone has done similar measures..?

JS

Welcome to TFP! :wave: I suspect you are correct in that as long as water is moving, even on low speed, everything is filtering well and working fine. That's how it is with our pools as well. Mine in on low speed 24/7/365. But let's as @Mdragger88 for another spa opinion. Enjoy the forum. :swim:

Hi, thanks!
Took a look around in this and other forums, it seems to be as i suspected. Anyway not a big deal or reason to change cycletime, but nice to know.
The setting on our spa seems to be pump&heat, then when temp is reached, the pump stops until the temp is lowered ca 0,5 Celcius, then it starts pump&heat again. It also seems to do short pump-cycles between this to circulate water for checking the temp.

Reactions: Texas Splash
I initially changed my filter cycle from the lower factory settings but every time the power goes out or I unplug it to drain/refill it defaults back so I just stopped changing it & have noticed zero difference in clarity or my utility bill. If the water is flowing through the filter you’re filtering.