Filling the pool up

Nov 30, 2016
st. louis MO
Hi all,

I have just finished installing my above ground pool and I am currently filling it up.
I just purchased my bleach from Sams. It is Clorox 8.3%.
I have also purchased the correct test kit in order to balance the water correctly.
I have read over the most of the basics here, so I feel I have an OK understanding of what I should do.
At this point though, as the water is about half-way up, should I do anything yet, like test the water or add the bleach or should I wait until the pool fills all the way and I start running the filter.
I believe I also read that you should first start with adding the chlorine before trying to raise any other levels up or down, would that be correct?
Thanks so much

Congrats on the new pool!

You are going to need at least 30ppm of CYA, and 4-6ppm FC. A 27' round pool filled to 48" of water depth is approx. 17,100 gallons. Yes it is important to get bleach in there right away, as well as the CYA to buffer and protect the chlorine.

Per Pool Math

68oz (4-1/4lbs) by weight 100%CYA will add 30ppm to CYA.

A full jug (96oz) of bleach will add 3.7ppm FC, 1-1/2 jugs (144oz) will get you to about 5.6ppm FC.

pH should be maintained at 7.2 - 7.8

Post up a full set of test results and let us know what kit you have.

Thanks Dom,
that really helped, I just added the bleach today and have 4lbs of Stabilizer tied in a sock slowly dissolving.
I bought the Taylor test kit that includes the FAS-DPD Chlorine Test.
I will test those tomorrow and post the results.
and as for a daily schedule I was reading the "Basic Pool Care Schedule" and it said Daily check Chlorine
Would that be the FAS-DPD Test or the OTO Chlorine Test?
After reading around here I would assume is was the FAS-DPD test but when and why do you need to do the OTO test?

Thanks Dom,
that really helped, I just added the bleach today and have 4lbs of Stabilizer tied in a sock slowly dissolving.
I bought the Taylor test kit that includes the FAS-DPD Chlorine Test.
I will test those tomorrow and post the results.
and as for a daily schedule I was reading the "Basic Pool Care Schedule" and it said Daily check Chlorine
Would that be the FAS-DPD Test or the OTO Chlorine Test?
After reading around here I would assume is was the FAS-DPD test but when and why do you need to do the OTO test?
Don't bother testing anything until the water is full and circulating. Without all the CYA dissolved, any bleach you add will be gone the same day. Give the CYA a day at least after the sock is empty before checking it.

The OTO test is more of a yes-no thing, as it will never bleach out. It's good to keep track of things when you're feeling lazy and just dump in the usual amount. It's not a substitute for the FAS-DPD test on a regular basis. I suggest you use both for a few weeks to see if you can read the color shades. If there's a dispute, the FAS-DPD wins.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.