Jan 23, 2021
Los Angeles
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Howdy,

I am a new house owner, and a new pool owner. My CYA levels are really high because the previous owners used tablets. I am trying to figure out how to drain my pool, but I am lost with the drainage stuff. Pool has a spa, aqua link, and more tubes than I know what to do with.
how can I get started with figuring out how to drain.

thanks for any assistance!

Attachments

• 2A3FADFA-ADAE-41F7-B5B4-1D8707E9DE7A.jpeg
    2A3FADFA-ADAE-41F7-B5B4-1D8707E9DE7A.jpeg
    437.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 059CA653-9D5F-4613-915D-BF95FAB15DB0.jpeg
    059CA653-9D5F-4613-915D-BF95FAB15DB0.jpeg
    563.9 KB · Views: 16

In your area, you should be able to rent a sump pump from Home Depot and drain down how much you need fairly quickly. If in Los Angeles as your location says, your pool is not at risk to pop out and your plaster should be OK as you do not get all that hot. But if you are actually not in LA, be aware there are risks to draining.

What test kit are you using to determine your pool water chemistry data?

Reactions: ps6000
I am in LA. How much do you think I can drain safely. I have not seen any exact numbers, but am aware of the risks of popping out, and drying. It’s overcast this week so I was thinking it would be best to do it now.

What are your test results? How are you testing? What volume is the pool? Where will you put the effluent while draining? Does your municipality have regulations on draining a pool?

You should consider doing the extended CYA test. Cut the pool water with tap water 1:1. Then use that mixture as your pool water for the test. Double the result.

Reactions: ps6000
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.