Fighting Algae / Prevention

Checked FC yesterday afternoon. The reading was down to 7, so I added 32 oz of cal-hypo. I checked FC in the evening and it was still up at 13. I vacuumed out the pool last night. This morning I checked the FC at it was still at 13, so hopefully I've got everything cleared out.

As a side question, I've got another basic test kit that using a chlorine neutralizer before testing for PH. Is it possible to get an accurate reading for PH using that style of test during a SLAM? I'm not sure of the chemistry involved with the PH reagents.
Doesn't work. Accurate pH test during shock levels with R-007?

Have you double checked your CYA levels? If those went up, you may need to up the chlorine level, especially if you are seeing algae re-forming during a SLAM.

Also skimmers and light niches are good hiding spots for algae so make sure you double check those.

If anything my CYA levels may be a little lower than 30. I checked at the start of the SLAM and I had to fill the tube up all the way to get the black dot not visible. That's higher than the 30 line but I know that doesn't mean it's 20. There is CYA in the pool because the black dot is just barely visible when it's filled above the 30 line.

I checked the FC at 11am and it's at 11. I added 16oz of cal-hypo just to make sure I keep levels up for the rest of the day. I also backwashed and rinsed the filter. I'll check things again this afternoon.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.