Fighting algae in 42 degree weather

Mar 30, 2018
Modesto ca
Hope you guys can help. I am fighting algae in a 42 degree pool, sand filter, about 30,000 gal. I have bee using nothing but liquid chlorine for 2 yrs and did pretty well this past summer. But I backed off a little in the fall and now every day I am brushing off greenish "dust" from all sides and bottom of pool. Filter is running 24/7. I am brushing and adding 2 gals chlorine a day. FC when I last tested was 26 but ph was high - over 8. We have had a little rain - I am in interior CA so not huge amounts - and I get a lot of leaves and such in the pool, which I am skimming daily. I am worried I have yellow algae, and/or the sand is full of crud and needs replacing.

I have that test kit and use it. I have read the ABC's of Pool Chemistry. I have been following the SLAM process for weeks with no real change. I am brushing, adding liquid chlorine, backwashing, and running filter 24/7. I just vacuumed leaves today. I will do a complete set of tests tomorrow and post results.

Welcome to TFP.

You need to follow the SLAM Process process.

To do that you need a test kit like the TF-100 Test Kit â„¢ or Taylor K-2006C with the FAS/DPD CL test. Once you get the test kit then post your test results here and we can walk you through the next steps.

I suggest you review Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

mooneyma,

Welcome to the forum:wave:

Have faith. The SLAM process works on each and every pool IF the procedure is followed carefully.....no exceptions.

Although you are reporting a SLAM for "weeks", it just doesn't work like that. If you are SLAMing exactly as the SLAM article teaches, you should have results in just a couple of days. We can help you figure out the error but we will rely on your results from that good test kit you have.

Post your test results........that gets us started.

Also report your current psi at the gauge.

PSI on the gauge is 15, goes up to 20 after a few days, at which point I am backwashing and rinsing and it goes back down.
This pool has done well using TFP principles for over a year, through very hot weather. So I am mystified why at this temp it is doing this.

I also add a little DE to the skimmer - per your instructions on the site - most times after backwashing. The water is clear. The sand is probably 10 years old. I have washed it a couple times - as recently as about 6 mos ago - but I don't know that I did it well enough and a lot of leaves and little pine needles get in there. So I am wondering if this could be a filtration issue. The pump has been running 24/7 since March 2018. Never off, other than to change to backwash.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think I would clean the leaves and get them, and any other debris, out of the pool.

You are testing for the absence of organic deterioration when you do the OCLT. Theoretically then, ANY visible organics in your pool should be removed.

You also said "more" leaves indicating that there may be quite a few to remove. Regardless, organics of ANY kind or amount in your pool are unhelpful when you need a precise OCLT

Ok I cleaned all leaves out of the pool and did the OCLT test. Both last night and this AM show FC of 34 and 0 CC's.
So do we think the green dust is not actually algae and I can back off the chlorine a little, the daily sweeping, and running the pump 24/7?

Ok I cleaned all leaves out of the pool and did the OCLT test. Both last night and this AM show FC of 34 and 0 CC's.
So do we think the green dust is not actually algae and I can back off the chlorine a little, the daily sweeping, and running the pump 24/7?

No indication of algae.

I would go to your normal pump and cleaning routine and see if that keeps your green dust in check.

I don't see how that will help you get rid of whatever is causing the green. If it is not algae, then it should filter right out in a day or so, but it doesn't seem to be doing that. Stop brushing??? How do you plan to get the green dust up into the filter if you don't brush it up into the circulating water. If you back away from the SLAM procedure, what do you intend to do next?

But I thought the OCLT test demonstrates it is not algae?? I think I will try that test a couple more times to see if things change.
My plan right now is to back off the chlorine a little and alternate sweeping and vacuuming, keeping the pool free from leaves, to see if that changes anything.
Other suggestions??

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.