SE Michigan
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
Hello! Hoping someone here can help me out. The pool that came with our house has two of these light boxes but I don’t know how they work or even if they work. There’s no sign of a switch or remote control. The lights have never come on since we’ve moved in/opened the pool so no type of sensor or anything….anyone know how these typically work or how I could troubleshoot IF they work?

3B312F99-0AA7-48B0-9CAB-D5D2C68557DA.jpegC1A490A4-9A35-4901-9EC7-418119E30A98.jpeg1E10D535-7749-4D30-813C-3DB3A0BB5C34.jpeg

Hello! Hoping someone here can help me out. The pool that came with our house has two of these light boxes but I don’t know how they work or even if they work. There’s no sign of a switch or remote control. The lights have never come on since we’ve moved in/opened the pool so no type of sensor or anything….anyone know how these typically work or how I could troubleshoot IF they work?

View attachment 478960View attachment 478961View attachment 478962
If you dig the lawn out a bit at the side that has the blue label you should find two toggle switches that control the unit. There are very few parts available for that old system. If the bulb is burned out, by itself it is a +/- $220.00 part. A new light tower is about $1300 on Amazon.

The 6008 series is a much more complicated version of the Fiberstars line. Uses a metal-halide bulb and fixture.
Just found out the 6004 non-metal-halide series might still be available (the one that uses the bulb DrewLG referenced).
Fiberstars 6008 illuminator ($220.00+):
fiberstars_3.jpg

Fiberstars 6008 bulb ($65.00 - $95.00+):
a576b9f0-c4fd-43c5-a570-9287bfe3c73f.dba512178725a2992cdbf299673e6af6.jpeg

Reactions: Stephs2125
Thanks, @1poolman1. I misremembered the model number of the tower I've bought light bulbs for. Turns out I have a 2008, not the OP's 6008.

Apologies for the misinformation.
I found that out the hard way early in my business when I first gave an estimate for a replacement bulb over the phone and then found it to be the metal-halide version.

If you dig the lawn out a bit at the side that has the blue label you should find two toggle switches that control the unit. There are very few parts available for that old system. If the bulb is burned out, by itself it is a +/- $220.00 part. A new light tower is about $1300 on Amazon.
Thanks for the insights! I know absolutely zero about pool lighting - if it’s not working/can’t be repaired - do you have a suggestion on what would be the best way to upgrade or replace? Meaning is there and “obvious” answer or is it basically like starting over from scratch with nothing to build upon? Does that make sense?

Thanks for the insights! I know absolutely zero about pool lighting - if it’s not working/can’t be repaired - do you have a suggestion on what would be the best way to upgrade or replace? Meaning is there and “obvious” answer or is it basically like starting over from scratch with nothing to build upon? Does that make sense?
You would need to find someone familiar with those types of systems to see if it can be repaired (Hayward also made a fiberoptic system). Not a lot of us around that worked on them.
Fiberoptic lighting was never particularly bright in a pool, especially as the bulb aged and the ends of the fiber deteriorated (can be cut clean again). There are light towers still available, though they are not inexpensive, that could replace what you have since the fibers should still be there. The lenses in the pool need to be free from water or replaced. That would mean draining the pool below the lens, opening and drying the conduit, replacing the gaskets and, if necessary, the lens itself.
S.R.Smith makes replacement LED packages to change out the whole system. Pool would not have to be drained for them to be installed.

You would need to find someone familiar with those types of systems to see if it can be repaired (Hayward also made a fiberoptic system). Not a lot of us around that worked on them.
Fiberoptic lighting was never particularly bright in a pool, especially as the bulb aged and the ends of the fiber deteriorated (can be cut clean again). There are light towers still available, though they are not inexpensive, that could replace what you have since the fibers should still be there. The lenses in the pool need to be free from water or replaced. That would mean draining the pool below the lens, opening and drying the conduit, replacing the gaskets and, if necessary, the lens itself.
S.R.Smith makes replacement LED packages to change out the whole system. Pool would not have to be drained for them to be installed.
Thanks again for the time to reply! I think I will look into the replacement LED package you spoke of. I am having my liner replaced this month and if it’s something the pool company can do while the liner is being done then it seems to be the best long term solution.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.