Fiberglass vs gunite. Newbie!

Ses76

Jul 13, 2017
MA
Hello all,

I've read a lot about this question but searching these wonderful forums I can't seem to find too much discussion. If I'm missing it could someone point me in the right direction?
I thought I had everything figured out and was ready to go with a fiberglass pool. I have the PB coming this weekend to help outline the pool in the yard. I definitely want the automatic cover so we are going with a rectangle. I'm starting to consider that the fiberglass rectangle seems so narrow. I've only seen 2 FG pools in person and I like them both but they also both seem "bath tubby" - I don't think this is a deal breaker but if the shape will look oddly narrow I may need to consider gunite. We are in New England and I'm concerned with cracking or issues along these lines.

What are thoughts on these two pool types given my circumstances?
I am so sorry for asking what must be considered the most basic questions. I hope it's not too annoying and I hope I can come here for help going forward. This forum is so helpful and also I know it will be helpful in ways that I can't imagine at this ridiculously early point!
Thank you!

Hey Ses76, Welcome to TFP! That is not a "basic" question, but I have to admit I don't know the answer. I'm not sure whether geography is a factor in choosing fiberglass over another type of pool construction, or whether it's a maintenance factor, or longevity. I'm in California and I chose gunite, because that is what all my neighbors have. Also, growing up on the East Coast, that is also what my neighbors had, so I don't have any familiarity with fiberglass or vinyl. Disclosure: Fiberglass may not have been around when I was "growing up". :p There are many folks here on TFP from your area, that will make the appropriate recommendations.

Our viking bermuda fg pool
6f9567df43529e1f6b8453b09cc0cb33.jpg

Thanks so much everyone! I love your pools...beautiful! rmturner, I feel like I've been researching this on and off for years but very seriously since february. We are planning to go with a Viking...I have not researched manufacturers. The installation company comes highly regarded and they only have Viking, Blue Hawaiian and Trilogy. Viking is what they are suggesting but I thought it was based primarily on shape/dimensions? Is there somewhere I should look to compare these brands? Or can I just go with you guys have Viking and are happy (and two friends I know in real life also) so that's a good one (hint: I like this option best).... Also what colors are your pools? The color choosing is going to make me crazy!!:p

I have a 5 year old Viking Carmel fiverglass pool 14x30. I think the fibrrglass looks great, very smooth, easy to take care of and shows no wear. I have the tile around the top 6 inches of the pool which tends to hide any water lines etc. The most importsant thing about fiberglass pools is that they tend to come in 14 and 16 foot widths. They are measured from the outside edge of the fiberglass shell so a 14 foot wide pool is really on 12 ft 9 inches. So it looks narrow. I would defineitly get the 16 foot not the 14 foot and what ever length you can handle. Your deck should cover the top of the fiberglass shell . The rectangle shape does give you more water surface becasue again the curved shapes are measured from the widest point. Hope this helps.

Very helpful! Thank you!! I can't wait to finalize all my decisions and make my own "build thread" so others can learn from what I'll be doing!! If I can fit it exactly where I want it (should know saturday) I will order the pool. It will be 16x40 with 8'deep end "Monaco" model by Viking. I tried reading about different fiberglass manufacturers but see that there's bad and good written about everything. I'm going with the PB that's been highly recommended to me by multiple people and also very responsive in general - helping me to see other pools they've installed etc. Thanks again. Off to start a new thread with questions about equipment!!! So much to know that I had no idea I needed to know until I started reading here!

It is my understanding that Latham makes Trilogy and Viking..... I have the Viking laguna. I like the fiberglass because it is easy to keep clean and no corners to collect dirt. Depending on what you want the pool for, you and spouse, friend and party's, or just occasional family... size it for that. Fiberglass has size restrictions for shipment so it is limited.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.